Verbatim Portable Hard Drive
A portable hard drive to help with your backups
- Robust, does the job
- Nero software overwrites data by default, software's encryption function not great
A solid, decent but uninspiring backup drive, the Verbatim Portable Hard Drive will make a good purchase for those who back up regularly.
The Verbatim Portable Hard Drive is a lightweight USB 2.0 external storage device with a scratch-resistant plastic chassis.
Although the curved silver plastic finish isn't the most expensive looking design, we liked its looks and found the Verbatim Portable Hard Drive pleasingly robust.
Power is supplied to the Verbatim Portable Hard Drive via a single mini USB 2.0 port at the top of the drive. However, you only know for sure that the drive is successfully installed by consulting the status bubble that pops up on your desktop — the drive itself has no lights to indicate it's in use.
After a while, you notice a secondary sign that the Verbatim Portable Hard Drive is operational: it gets a little warm.
The Verbatim Portable Hard Drive is a quiet drive too and its test results show it goes about its job efficiently, with a spindle spin speed of 5400rpm.
There's little about the Verbatim Portable Hard Drive to distinguish it from the pack, however. Content can be dragged and dropped to and from a laptop or PC to the drive, but there's no winning software interface to help you manage your multi-gigabyte archive.
Nero's BackItUp 2 Essentials software is part of the Verbatim Portable Hard Drive setup. This takes just a minute or two to install and covers the basics of creating a new archive or restoring one should you be unfortunate enough to find yourself with a corrupt drive. There are friendlier-looking programs out there than this one, but it works well enough.
What doesn't seem to be offered by the Verbatim Portable Hard Drive is much in the way of data protection. So while we were able to copy the entire contents of our Vista laptop to any connected drive, no questions asked, it was down to us to think to encrypt the contents — you must first click the More radio button to see what else is offered. Even then, encryption requires only a common-or-garden password. By contrast, we were given a prompt about drive compression.
The other issue is that by default the Nero software overwrites existing data — something you only discover by investigating the various settings under the Configure menu. You have to alter this in the less than obvious Restore pane.
To be fair, the Verbatim Portable Hard Drive will suit many users who simply know they should get into the habit of creating a backup of their work. Ensuring that archive is secure shouldn't be an afterthought.
According to product details listed on the Verbatim website, research company GfK predicted a huge growth for this sort of external backup device — the unimaginatively named Portable Hard Drive comes across as a response to that fact. (Actually, they liked the idea so much they bought existing hard drive maker SmartDisk.)
Unfortunately, that's all it does. Verbatim's offering does nothing to push the boundaries of design or capabilities.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- HPE is bringing Optane storage to Unix servers
- These new super fast Intel SSDs provide a bridge to Optane
- Prices of SSDs and DRAM will crash in 2019, Gartner predicts
- Pure adds more NVMe with an eye to the next storage speed bump
- What one company learned from testing Intel's superfast Optane SSDs
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCTechnical Support/HelpdeskVIC
- TPSenior Sitecore Developer (.NET)QLD
- FTLearning & Development Consultant, Wealth ManagementNSW
- FTDigital Business Analyst | Online BookingQLD
- CCTesting SpecialistVIC
- FTApplication System EngineerACT
- FTBusiness Improvement ManagerNSW
- FTJunior .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTNodeJS and AngularJS DeveloperQLD
- FTClient Onboarding ManagerNSW
- FTProcurement OfficerACT
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- TPDigital Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTManager, DevOpsQLD
- FTManager - Commercial ClientsACT
- CCJava Developer / System Designer - Aus Citizens OnlyWA
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Systems AnalystSA
- FTNetwork EngineerWA
- FTDeployment Analyst / Customer Service - Minchinbury NSWNSW
- TPSenior Developer - API - Data ReportingNSW
- CCData AnalystNSW
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW