Uniden Crash Cam app
Uniden's Crash Cam app can be used on an iPhone or an Android smartphone, and it's a good alternative if you don't want to invest in a dedicated dash cam
- Great if you don't want a dedicated dash cam
- Lots of settings to play with
- Has continuous recording
- Easy to use
- No function to rename files
- No multi delete
Uniden has designed this app for all drivers, but it can be especially useful for those of you who drive long distances on a daily basis, yet don’t want to invest in a dedicated dash cam.
Price$ 4.49 (AUD)
The aftermath of a road accident can be one of the most stressful things you’ll experience, especially if false claims or conflicting opinions arise. A crash cam can help you deal with this by documenting the incident, but thanks to Uniden’s Crash Cam app, now you don’t even have to own a dedicated dashboard camera.
Uniden has designed an app that allows your iPhone or Android smartphone to act as a crash cam. It’s actually called Crash Cam, and it allows you to record events from your vehicle in the case of an accident. You have to mount your smartphone to the inside of your windshield, which means you’ll have to buy a suitable mount that allows your phone to be placed in a position where it can see clearly in front your car.
When the app’s running, it can detect any sudden movements using the G-sensor in the phone, and the automatically start capturing footage. There is a loop recorder functionality, which records events in one continuous video. The purpose of these recordings is so that they can later be used as evidence for the authorities, for insurance purposes, and other legal matters. This app could help you in the case of false claims made against you.
Features and Functionality
Overall, the app is simple and clean. There are five buttons on the main screen that allow you to quickly access the different sections of the app: Home, Video, Camera, Clips, and More (where the settings are and you can see how much recording space you have, among other things). It’s easy to use and the interface is very user-friendly.
Uniden Crash Cam allows you to record in both landscape and portrait modes. The app stores all you videos and images within the app, and this is good because your Camera Roll won't become cluttered. That said, it has the ability to save to the Camera Roll if you wish to do so.
The app also geotags the location of the events that have been captured and uses the phone’s GPS to allow you to view a map overlay on the record screen. A cool function of Crash Cam is that it can tell you what your maximum and average speeds were for each piece of footage. You can instantly email videos and images you capture, and even share them on Facebook and Twitter.
The app also offers lots of customisations. The three sensitivity levels you can set for the G-sensor are: light, medium, and high. This will determine how sudden the movement will need to be in order to activate the recording. In testing, the G-sensor was responsive to sudden shakes and movements when recording. There is also a manual recording function.
Recording and viewing footage
You can set the resolution of the recording in the settings to either 1920x1080, 1280x720, 640x480, or 352x258. Also available is the function to enable Auto record and choose the length of each of these recordings. You can choose from 1, 2, 5, or 12 minutes.
In clips, there are three sections: Recents, Favourites, and Images. Each clip folder has a compilation of your clips, stills, and map location. It’s a very neat set up, although organisation would've been easier if there was a way to rename the clips. On the top of each clip there is a time and date stamp, and the bottom of the clip displays your maximum and average speeds. From here you can share your recordings. To delete a file, you swipe to the left and click delete. We would like to see a multi-delete function because deleting becomes tedious if you have a lot of files.
Reviewed on: iPhone 5s
Requirements: iOS 6.0 or later
Size: 6.8 MB
Developer: Uniden Australia Pty. Ltd.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
cloudandco Smart Cane
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft takes $550 off the Alienware 15 gaming laptop as time runs out on PC deals
- How to automatically mute a website within Google Chrome, forever
- Amazon's Echo Show has dropped in price by $80
- FCC votes to kill net neutrality in an unsurprising move. What happens now?
- Microsoft knocks $550 off the fantastic Dell XPS 13 as last-minute PC deals get crazier
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPKronos AdministratorQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst | Gold CoastQLD
- CCSEPM Security EngineerWA
- FTSenior Engineer (devOps)NSW
- FTClinical IT Support Consultant - Medication Management - Permanent - North RydeNSW
- TPCommunications & Change AnalystQLD
- FTQlikSense DeveloperACT
- CCVirtualisation Network EngineerVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTFinancial AdministratorOther
- FTPython DevelopersOther
- FTProject ManagerACT
- FTSecurity AnalystOther
- FTSolution Designer/ Architect | 6mth ContractOther
- FTPlatform Software Engineer (Data Warehouse/Big Data) - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTIT Manager - ApplicationsOther
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTFunctional AnalystVIC
- FTOperations ManagerOther
- FTSenior Biz Talk DeveloperACT
- CCJava Developer - BrisbaneWA
- FTSenior SAP Business Analyst (Business Intelligence & Data Management)NSW
- CCWeb Applications Project ManagerVIC
- CCWintel EngineerQLD
- FTJunior-Mid Level Java Developer (Brisbane Location)NSW