Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5vi
Audiophile quality sound for your mobile phone.
- In-line microphone and call-handling button, cord length, stylish design, range of rubber and foam tips included, excellent sound quality
- In-line microphone and call-handling button separated, call-handling button too low on cord, bass isn't outstanding
For the average consumer, spending this much on a set of headphones will probably seem ridiculous. For the price, though, these IEMs will completely rejuvenate your music listening experience.
Price$ 379.95 (AUD)
Recently acquired by Logitech, Ultimate Ears has a long history of producing in-ear monitors (IEMs). It has now brought tailored Super.Fi 5 IEMs to market, providing a viable solution for mobile phones such as the iPhone. The Super.Fi 5vi boasts an in-line microphone and answer call button, allowing it to handle phone calls in addition to music.
These IEMs are quite stylish. The left earpiece (black) is a different colour to the right one (red), eliminating the need to squint at the tiny L and R markings. The outer side of each earpiece is described by Ultimate Ears as "liquid silver" — glossy, mirror-style plastic. Those with the original iPhone are in luck — the Super.Fi 5vi's 3.5mm connector fits into the iPhone's recessed headphone jack, and the cable is long enough to be comfortable but not so long as to leave you in a tangled mess.
As they are noise-isolating headphones, Ultimate Ears includes a number of different sized rubber and form fittings to create the best possible seal and ensure maximum comfort. Small, medium and large rubber tips are packaged, and there are two sets of foam tips. The foam tips provide the best noise cancellation but aren't as aesthetically pleasing or comfortable as their rubber counterparts. Also included are a cleaning tool and a small plastic carrying case, but the headphones don't have removable filters like many other IEMs on the market.
The headphones are quite comfortable once you get the required fit. Keep in mind that these types of headphones sit deep in your ear canal and can be uncomfortable if you aren't used to them. Despite long periods of listening during testing we have no complaints about the comfort.
Sound quality is, as expected, excellent. Mid-range does sound a little overenthusiastic and the bass isn't as strong as some other IEMs we’ve reviewed but the sound is extremely detailed overall. As is always the case with IEMs, an adequate seal should bring out the best possible bass. Highs are smooth and the elements of sound are relatively neutral. Higher-pitched instruments are crisp and clear, and soundstage, while not comparable to a good quality pair of over-the-head headphones, is excellent for IEMs.
To handle voice calls when connected to a mobile phone there is an in-line microphone and a call-handling button that allows you to answer and reject incoming calls. Oddly, these are separated and the call-handling button is a little low on the cord for our liking. When a call comes in, the music dims and your ring tone plays through the headphones. A simple press of the button answers the call. The button can also be used to control music playback — simply press the button once to play or pause the current track, twice to skip to the next track and use a triple click to return to the previous track. The quality of calls through the microphone is excellent, and the call-handling button is comfortable and easy to press.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Bose Upgrade Q35 for Google Assistant
- Jabra Evolve 75e brings earbud design, Active NC and ‘busylight’ to the workplace
- Jaybird go true wireless with new RUN earbuds
- HyperX Reveals Next Generation Cloud Alpha Gaming Headset
- Jabra upgrade their Elite Sport wireless earbuds
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCFeature Team Lead/Technology SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst - SuperannuationOther
- FTHogan Technical ConsultantOther
- FTSenior JAVA Developer - (Adobe Experience Manager)Other
- FTMS Dynamics SpecialistACT
- FTJAVA DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Software DeveloperACT
- CCInformation Security Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- TPChange Delivery Officer / PMOQLD
- CCInformation Security Consultant - BrisbaneACT
- FTOracle Fusion Middleware ArchitectACT
- FTNetwork Data EngineerOther
- FTFront End Developer with UX designOther
- FTAccount ManagerOther
- CCTRIM Support OfficerVIC
- FTSharepoint ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Software Developer - Java/J2EE/Micro servicesOther
- CCAWS DevOps Engineer - BrisbaneNSW
- FTOracle DeveloperVIC
- FTSolution DesignerOther
- FTCorporate ReceptionistOther
- FTSystem AdministratorOther
- FTSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Reporting Data Analyst - TelcoVIC