Trend Micro Australia Internet Security Pro 2009
This secuirty suite 2009 fails at the most basic task of detecting and blocking malicious software.
- Shines when cleaning up an existing infection, good user interface
- Fails at detecting malicious software
Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 has some good points, but there's no getting around the fact that Internet Security Pro 2009 fails at detecting malicious software, and therefore fails as a security program. We cannot recommend buying it.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 fails at the most basic task of detecting and blocking malicious software. Not recommended.
Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 fails badly at any security suite's most important task: identifying malware before it can attack your PC.Its dismal 69.3 percent detection rate was a full 20 percentage points behind the next worst competitor of the 2009 security suites.
In AV-Test.org's tests, which put each suite up against a huge array of bots, password stealers, and other malware, top performers tagged about 99 percent of the 654,914 samples - but Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 let three out of every 10 pieces of malicious software go by untouched. That just doesn't cut it for security software.
Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 likewise fell flat in heuristic tests using two-week-old signature files to simulate dealing with unknown threats, and at catching annoying adware. It was dead last in both categories.
The company says that it emphasises proactive protection that attempts to block threats before they can try installing malware (and before the suite would have to recognise it). Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 uses its own web crawlers, download tests, and user reports to maintain a database of malicious websites, and will block those sites from loading on your PC. It's a valid approach - one that could well supplement scanning for malware on your PC - but it can't yet replace that core detection task.
Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 did shine when tasked with cleaning up an existing infection. It removed all the files from nine out of 10 malware infections, a performance that only BitDefender matched. It was almost as good in dealing with Registry changes, placing second in that test.
Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 offers a few interesting features, such as a scan for missing Windows patches that assigns a risk level for each one. You'll also get a useful Wi-Fi advisor button in a browser toolbar that can warn you if your wireless network lacks encryption - a smart tool placed in a good location.
Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 also did well with its user interface, and clearly took time to provide good descriptions for features and options. Right away we noticed the use of plain English throughout the program.
But the company went too far with its desire to simplify, as we saw no pop-ups or warnings when it blocked our attempted Zango-adware download. We had to dig into the program logs to find out what was going on. It's good to help people make informed decisions to protect their computer, but it's also important to at least give users an idea that something we just tried to do was potentially harmful.
Without an alert, a user might think that their browser simply had a problem, and they might then try installing the dangerous software through another browser - or even worse, on another PC. You can change the default setting to display warnings when your PC encounters viruses or spyware, but you shouldn't have to.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Master Lock bring new Smart Padlocks to Oz
- Trend Micro Strengthens its Security Offerings in Trend Micro Security
- Billions of devices at risk as Bluetooth-bourne vulnerability exposed
- Trend Micro launches new Home Network Scanner
- Family Zone ready new cyber safety tool for parents
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSenior Solution Architect - Data CentreACT
- FTSalesforce ConsultantVIC
- FTDevOps Engineers/Consultants - CloudOther
- CC.Net Developers - Multiple positionsACT
- CCIT Security ArchitectNSW
- FTChange Manager OR Senior Change AnalystOther
- TPLinux EngineerQLD
- CCLevel 2-3 Desktop SupportWA
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- TPProject Manager & Business Analyst - eDRMS - 18+ month ContractQLD
- FTScrum MasterOther
- CCDatabase Administrator - Government OrganisationVIC
- FTSenior Agile Digital Business Analyst - Immediate StartOther
- CCXamarin Mobile DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Technical Business Analyst/BSAOther
- FTMarketing Executive - Digital, Direct and Customer MarketingOther
- CCNetwork Solution ArchitectQLD
- FTProject Manager - ApplicationsOther
- FTJunior .NET DeveloperOther
- CCAb Initio DeveloperNSW
- FTSales Support Associate - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTNetwork SpecialistQLD
- CCTechnical Specialist O365NSW
- FTSAED CoordinatorOther