Trend Micro HouseCall
Trend Micro HouseCall is a free utility that scans for and removes viruses, Trojans, and other malware.
- Free, seeks out vulnerabilities as well as viruses, easy to use
- Can be time consuming (because of its thoroughness)
Trend Micro HouseCall is a great resource for anyone who suspects that their computer woes may be related to malicious files - or for those who just want to double-check that their installed security program is doing its job.
Trend Micro - one of the most respected companies in security software - offers HouseCall, a free web-based utility that scans for and cleans your computer of all currently documented viruses, Trojans and other malware.
In addition, Trend Micro HouseCall seeks out firewall problems and other vulnerabilities, and makes suggestions for correcting them. We do not recommend using HouseCall in lieu of an installed security program. But it has saved our computers numerous times, when all else failed. Its new version is not only compatible with Windows 7, but you can download either a 32-bit or 64-bit version of its launcher.
Setting up Trend Micro HouseCall is a breeze. You can choose to do a Quick Scan, Full Scan or Custom Scan (choosing which drives and folders - including connected network drives - will be analysed). If you're in a hurry, you may also want to check the option to have HouseCall fix all found problems. If you prefer to look at each problem found, and select which ones to fix, leave that option unchecked.
Then, click on Scan Now, and sit back and wait. Depending on the size and density of your drives, the type scan you choose, the speed of your computer, and the speed of your internet connection, Trend Micro HouseCall can take 15 minutes (for a Quick Scan of critical system files) to several hours (for Complete or comprehensive Custom Scans). Our Custom Scan of all folders and files on two local and four network drives took five hours and four minutes.
Unlike previous versions of Trend Micro HouseCall, which ran completely online, this newest iteration uses a downloadable launcher. That means you no longer have to worry about browser compatibilities or having the latest Java installed.
During the scan, the launcher first verifies that you have the latest version of the program, and automatically downloads any updates you might need, before actually launching. We feel that is an extra step that shouldn't be necessary, when you've just downloaded the launcher; shouldn't it be the newest version already?
Once launched, Trend Micro HouseCall checks file patterns on your computer against Trend Micro's latest database of malicious files, via your internet connection. A progress bar and timer tell you how much time has lapsed and the percentage of the job that is complete, so you can walk away and know approximately when to return.
When the scan is complete, Trend Micro HouseCall generates a report of all threats found and actions taken to fix the problems. It also provides information for any that were found but not repaired, so that you can investigate further. This time around, it found nothing on our test system - happily. Other times that we've used it, HouseCall has located and neutralised considerable threats to our systems.
Trend Micro is known for its aggressive and frequent updates of malware definitions, which means that Trend Micro HouseCall will catch the vast majority of active malicious files that might lurk in your system. But, because of its thoroughness, HouseCall can be time-consuming. It's best to run it at a time when you aren't planning to use your computer, such as overnight.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- Digital signature service DocuSign hacked and email addresses stolen
- The WannaCry ransomware might have a link to North Korea
- Paying the WannaCry ransom will probably get you nothing. Here's why.
- WannaCry attacks are only the beginning
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCTechnical Delivery Lead - BillingVIC
- FTProject CoordinatorOther
- FTNetwork EngineerSA
- FTService Delivery Manager - Telecommunications InfrastructureOther
- FTInternal Recruitment Coordinator - ITOther
- FTSplunk Software Developer | 6mth ContractOther
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Designer, Financial MarketsNSW
- FTeCommerce Solution ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Siebel Developer - Canberra/MelbourneACT
- FTReporting AnalystSA
- CCJunior DeveloperQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Automation Test AnalystVIC
- CCNetwork Performance TesterNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperOther
- CCProgram CoordinatorNSW
- FTSenior Developer / Architect - PermanentWA
- FTSAP ABAP DEVELOPMENT LEAD- NSW GovernmentOther
- FTSenior Project AnalystOther
- FTSoftware Tech Lead | C++ | Trading | Market ConnectivityOther
- FTRadio Communication TechnicianOther
- TPPrincipal Project Manager|HRIS ProgramQLD
- FTDigital Project Manager / Product ManagerOther
- FTEnterprise and Solution ArchitectQLD