Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010
In traditional malware detection tests conducted by AVTest.org, Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010 was able to detect 96.9 percent of the Trojans, spyware, worms and other malware
- Clear interface
- Poor malware detection, hides actions from user
Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware looks good, but in this unique software category looks take a distinct back seat to performance. And Trend's malware detection performance lags too far behind other antivirus programs to recommend.
Price$ 39.95 (AUD)
Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010 is good looking software weighed down by comparatively poor malware detection, slow scan speed, and a seriously misguided habit of hiding what it does from the user.
In traditional malware detection tests conducted by AVTest.org, Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010 was able to detect 96.9 percent of the Trojans, spyware, worms and other malware in AVTest's huge cache. To be fair, that's not a bad showing by itself, and a huge improvement over Trend's performance in previous tests. Last year, the company's security suite detected only 69.3 percent of AVTest's samples.
But this year, most of the apps we looked at nailed this test with detection rates over 99 percent, and Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010's improved signature-based detection rate still came in second-to-last. And it came in dead last when dealing with annoying adware, with a lowly 84.5 block rate.
Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010's back-of-the-pack performance continued with in proactive tests that use 2-week-old signatures to simulate detection of newer malware that doesn't yet have a signature. In these tests, Antivirus + Antispyware successfully identified only 51.7 percent of the baddies. And while Trend Micro is able to identify malware based solely on how it acts, an important feature that can potentially stop brand-new malware, it isn't all that good at it.
Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010 did manage to avoid falsely labelling any benign files as dangerous, and it performed well in disinfection tests, where it successfully disabled all 10 malware infections. But its tortoiselike scan speeds were the slowest among the apps we tested. Data throughput for automatic scans, which happen behind-the-scenes when you open or save a file, was only 6.2MB per second.
Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010 is user-friendly, with helpful documentation, a well-organised user interface, and clear descriptions for most elements. But Trend Micro's seriously misguided attempt to over-automate the interface nullifies the aforementioned strong points.
When Trend finds a threat, its default behaviour is to delete or quarantine the file without warning users of any activity. So you might end up repeatedly trying to download a file, unaware that your hard drive is being defended from a threat. At worst, you might understandably try to download and install the file on another PC, thereby infecting it.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Xbox One X
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Uber confirms massive 2016 data breach
- D-Link Adds Android Support and Launches Updated App for Omna 180 Cam HD
- Monitoring the home has become more flexible with Uniden’s App Cam Solo
- ESET works with Google to halt dangerous malware
- Cybersecurity is a Shared Responsibility, Warns ESET
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTAccount Commercial and Contract Manager (ANZ)VIC
- FTNetwork Lead AcrhitectACT
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Software Engineer - C++QLD
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPProject Manager - Pre Sales Development ProcessNSW
- FTLinux Systems EngineerOther
- FTMitel Unified Communication engineer.ACT
- CCJanusgraph Consultant - Telco industryVIC
- FTPL/SQL DeveloperOther
- FTDigital Marketing Executive - PersonalisationOther
- FTWindows EngineerOther
- FTManager, Platform Wealth OperationsOther
- CCIntegration SpecialistNSW
- TPSenior Change ManagerACT
- TPIT Cloud EngineerNSW
- CCScrum MasterQLD
- CCProperty Project Manager - Office ExpansionNSW
- CCITSM Integration Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTETL/Data EngineerOther
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectOther
- CCCyber Security Analyst - TelcoVIC
- CCMobile Applications DevelopersACT