Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010
In traditional malware detection tests conducted by AVTest.org, Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010 was able to detect 96.9 percent of the Trojans, spyware, worms and other malware
- Clear interface
- Poor malware detection, hides actions from user
Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware looks good, but in this unique software category looks take a distinct back seat to performance. And Trend's malware detection performance lags too far behind other antivirus programs to recommend.
Price$ 39.95 (AUD)
Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010 is good looking software weighed down by comparatively poor malware detection, slow scan speed, and a seriously misguided habit of hiding what it does from the user.
In traditional malware detection tests conducted by AVTest.org, Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010 was able to detect 96.9 percent of the Trojans, spyware, worms and other malware in AVTest's huge cache. To be fair, that's not a bad showing by itself, and a huge improvement over Trend's performance in previous tests. Last year, the company's security suite detected only 69.3 percent of AVTest's samples.
But this year, most of the apps we looked at nailed this test with detection rates over 99 percent, and Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010's improved signature-based detection rate still came in second-to-last. And it came in dead last when dealing with annoying adware, with a lowly 84.5 block rate.
Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010's back-of-the-pack performance continued with in proactive tests that use 2-week-old signatures to simulate detection of newer malware that doesn't yet have a signature. In these tests, Antivirus + Antispyware successfully identified only 51.7 percent of the baddies. And while Trend Micro is able to identify malware based solely on how it acts, an important feature that can potentially stop brand-new malware, it isn't all that good at it.
Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010 did manage to avoid falsely labelling any benign files as dangerous, and it performed well in disinfection tests, where it successfully disabled all 10 malware infections. But its tortoiselike scan speeds were the slowest among the apps we tested. Data throughput for automatic scans, which happen behind-the-scenes when you open or save a file, was only 6.2MB per second.
Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010 is user-friendly, with helpful documentation, a well-organised user interface, and clear descriptions for most elements. But Trend Micro's seriously misguided attempt to over-automate the interface nullifies the aforementioned strong points.
When Trend finds a threat, its default behaviour is to delete or quarantine the file without warning users of any activity. So you might end up repeatedly trying to download a file, unaware that your hard drive is being defended from a threat. At worst, you might understandably try to download and install the file on another PC, thereby infecting it.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- Digital signature service DocuSign hacked and email addresses stolen
- The WannaCry ransomware might have a link to North Korea
- Paying the WannaCry ransom will probably get you nothing. Here's why.
- WannaCry attacks are only the beginning
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- FT.Net Developer (WCF & WPF)Other
- FTIT Support Specialist - Level 2Other
- FTWintel EngineerSA
- FTSales Client Services Manager (Mid-market)QLD
- FTNetwork Engineer - IP routing & switchingOther
- TPDigital Business AnalystNSW
- FTPrincipal Consultant / Account Delivery Executive.Other
- FTTechnical Business Analysts, Banking, LendingOther
- FTAdministration Support Officers - APS 5/6ACT
- FTAccounts and Office AdministratorNSW
- FTPeopleSoft Campus Solution ConsultantOther
- TPAgile Senior Business AnalystVIC
- FTSAP Fiori Java Script DevelopersACT
- CCBusiness AnalystWA
- CCSenior Network ArchitectVIC
- FTImplementation Consultant - SMSF SoftwareOther
- FTMid-Sr level Product Manager / Project managerOther
- CCvRealize Solution DesignerACT
- FTDevOps LeadNSW
- FTTest AnalystOther
- FTBig Data ArchitectOther
- FTEmail Marketing SpecialistOther
- CCCloud Architect - AWSVIC
- FTJunior Java developerACT