Transcend StoreJet 25M-R
A shockproof external hard drive built to military standards.
- Shockproof casing, fast
- StoreJet Elite software is slightly bloated
For a portable hard drive that can survive a few knocks, Transcend's StoreJet 25M-R is a great option. This is complemented by fast transfer speeds, though the accompanying software isn't entirely useful.
Price$ 159.95 (AUD)
Bearing the US Army's seal of approval, the Transcend StoreJet 25M-R portable hard drive boasts good speeds and shockproof casing to protect it from the rigours of travel.
The Transcend StoreJet 25M-R doesn't have the elegant styling of the Western Digital My Passport range but instead keeps things simple. The casing is made from plastic, housing the drive, a USB 2.0 connection and one-touch backup button. Most of the drive is encased in a replaceable rubber skin to prevent scratches or damage to the casing itself.
Allegedly built to U.S. Military Drop Test Standards, the 2.5in hard drive in the Transcend StoreJet 25M-R is enclosed in a shockproof casing. This is the biggest difference between the StoreJet 25M-R and most other portable hard drives.
The transfer speeds of the StoreJet 25M-R external hard drive are among the fastest we have seen. Transferring 19.4GB of large files between the 320GB portable hard drive and a Western Digital Velociraptor (WD3000GLFS), the StoreJet 25M-R manages a write speed of 24.3 megabytes per second and a read speed of 28.5MBps. Copying the same set of files from one area on the drive to another yielded a speed of 11.9MBps.
Copying 3GB worth of identical 1MB files to the drive showed slower results but it still managed reasonable speeds. The StoreJet 25M-R wrote at 15.3MBps, read at 23.8MBps and copied the data from one area of the drive to another at 7.2MBps. These speeds are slower than those witnessed during the 19.4GB large file test due to the increased file operations, but the StoreJet 25M-R is still faster in this test than the Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus.
Transcend provides its own formatting utility with the StoreJet 25M-R, though this doesn't do anything more than the utility already available in Windows. StoreJet Elite allows you to configure the physical one-touch backup button, as well as providing backup settings that allows you to store personal user information including e-mail accounts, browser bookmarks and user-specific My Documents folders. However, there are less useful functions like ZIP file encryption and private browsing shortcuts for Firefox and Internet Explorer — frankly, we'd prefer compartmentalised software to suit these specific needs rather than a bloated all-in-one solution.
If you're after a fast portable hard drive with protection against the hard knocks of daily use, Transcend's StoreJet 25M-R works well, even if it doesn't have the style and polished software of competitors.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- EC says LCD screen cartel is active globally
- Sharp to increase LCD panel production on higher demand
- Dick Smith report says Australians keen to switch to digital radio
- Samsung, Numonyx to develop PCM specifications
- Faster SD cards could reach devices next year
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCSQL Server Database Specialist l Bathurst LocationNSW
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCIdentity Access Management - Business AnalystVIC
- FTProcurement OfficerACT
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Marketing Manager | Global Technology CompanyNSW
- CCData Migration Lead | Recruitment Focus | DocklandsVIC
- TPInformation Management SpecialistVIC
- CCReporting System Specialist - Port MacquarieNSW
- FTBI and Report DeveloperQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSenior DBANSW
- TPSenior Java Developer - Contract till June 2018QLD
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANENSW
- CCPega DeveloperQLD
- FTScrum MasterNSW
- FTDigital Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCSQL Server Database Specialist l Bathurst LocationNSW
- TPSenior Developer - API - Data ReportingNSW
- FTImplementation Engineer - NetApp DATA ONTAPWA
- CCPega DeveloperACT
- FTOperations Manager - NV1 Cleared - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTPeopleSoft Campus Solution ConsultantNSW
- FTSecurity AnalystQLD