- Price, Easy setup using CD-ROM
- Lack of wireless, Confusing Web interface
Although some may be put off by the lack of any wireless functionality, the TD-8840 is fine for those on a budget requiring an ADSL2+ modem and home
Price$ 59.00 (AUD)
If you want a no frills ADSL2+ modem without many -- if any -- bells and whistles, the TP-Link TD-8840 could be just what you're looking for. Also acting as a 4-port router, the 8840 can have you and your home network connected to the Internet in a matter of minutes. By using the provided CD-ROM software, connecting to your service provider can be completed in a few clicks of your mouse, and the entering of your username and password.
Not so good is the Web interface for users wanting to manually set up their connection. In fact, upon logging into the Web administration, a "quick setup" wizard is not even available. To insert your ADSL username and password, one has to navigate through a confusing menu system, drilling down through the Advanced menu and then having to work through the DSL wizard before finally being presented with the required page. On the plus side, the Web interface is fast to load, and rebooting the TD-8840 is a quick process.
TheTD-8840 uses the Broadcom BCM6338 chip, and was easily upgradeable by downloading and installing the available firmware updates. Download speeds averaged around the 12Mbps range -- consistent with other ADSL2+ modems recently tested on our Test Centre connection, apart from The D-Link DSL-2740B that blew all competition away with its results.
The one glaring omission to the TD-8840 is any wireless connectivity. Many home networks these days include at least one notebook or wireless device, and who wouldn't rather be siting in the lounge watching Home and Away whilst surfing the Net instead of the dingy old spare bedroom, aka home office.
The TD-8840 comes equipped with basic security settings, allowing the administrator to set up rudimentary parental controls and IP filtering. Setting up daily Internet access times is a breeze (although timeframes cannot be differed for individual days), but blocking both the incoming and outgoing IP addresses is not for novices -- something that should be easy is made difficult by options that cannot be described as "user-friendly". Although included, these security settings are no replacement for a good security software application on your PC.
Port forwarding, also known as virtual servers, can be configured using either the large list of predefined settings (from a variety of games through to private Web servers) or by manually inserting your own settings.
Also Included with the TD-8840 is a line splitter -- a requirement for anyone that wants to use the home phone and Internet from one phone jack -- RJ45 and CAT5e cables, user manual and software CD-ROM.
Join the newsletter!
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Toys for Boys
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- D-Link Launches Their Fastest-Ever NBN AC5300 MU-MIMO Modem Router
- Netgear delivers industry first networking devices with remote management from anywhere in the world
- Synology announces slew of new hardware + software at Sydney event
- Linksys signs on as PAX AUS partner
- NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem Keeps You Online
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTService Desk CoordinatorVIC
- FTDigital BAOther
- FTSolution Architect - API / SaaSOther
- TPProject Manager - Pre Sales Development ProcessNSW
- CCTechnical LeadQLD
- FTDigital Marketing Executive - PersonalisationOther
- FTAgile CoachOther
- CCDeployment ManagerVIC
- FTProject Manager - Data Centre refreshOther
- FTDesktop / SCCM EngineerOther
- FTDigital Product OwnerOther
- FTAxiomSL Technical ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Network ArchitectOther
- FTField ConsultantOther
- FTTIBCO Integration SpecialistOther
- FTField Service EngineerOther
- TPieMR Program Director - Gold CoastQLD
- FTFrontEnd Angular DeveloperOther
- FTDigital Marketing ExecutiveOther
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorVIC
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- FTJunior Python Developer - TradingOther
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTFacilities/Capacity EngineerOther
- FTTechnical Business AnalystOther