The Toshiba XD-E500-K-TY is a DVD upscaler that delivers great image quality.
- Very good at upscaling DVDs
- Only half the price of an entry-level Blu-ray player with built-in DVD upscaler, no analog 7.1-channel audio outputs
The Toshiba XD-E500-K-TY provides excellent DVD upscaling for high-definition TVs. However, make sure you're certain that you don't want to fork out a bit more for a Blu-ray player instead.
Price$ 219.00 (AUD)
The Toshiba XD-E500-K-TY upscales 480i/p standard DVDs and does so brilliantly. If you've got a large screen television, want to breathe some life into your DVD collection and are trying to avoid the Blu-ray leap, this device is well worth considering.
Once upon a time, DVD image quality was enough to blow everyone's socks off, but now Full HD LCD and plasma screens are becoming more popular and the format is beginning to show its age.
Fortunately, thanks to DVD upscalers built into many Blu-ray players like the LG BD300 ageing disc collections have been given a new lease on life. Although the picture quality is not as crystal-clear as Blu-ray titles, upscaling brings the number of artefacts and the level of image noise down to a more acceptable level on large high-resolution screens.
From the outside, the Toshiba XD-E500-K-TY looks like many other DVD players — a sleek black fascia with an integrated LCD screen and controls. But this unit is designed to take standard DVDs and improve the image produced to be suitable for screens with 720p, 1080i and 1080p resolutions.
In the fast-paced lobby scene of The Matrix, we noticed a vast improvement in the image quality on our 46in Sharp LC-46D85X LCD TV. Details that would have otherwise been hidden are brought out and image noise is kept to a minimum. Although the occasional artefact was visible and there was some sporadic jaggedness on edges, the image quality was excellent and the upscaling was clearly superior to that of the Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player.
The Toshiba XD-E500-K-TY is also capable of handling Dolby Digital and DTS-HD outputted in a bitstream format. Although it lacks both 5.1 and 7.1-channel analog outputs, the HDMI output can handle 7.1-channel surround sound and a digital optical out port capable of providing 5.1-channel sound is provided. Analog/stereo RCA connections are also provided, along with component video in/out and a coaxial audio port.
Although the Toshiba XD-E500-K-TY might have been a sensible purchase just a few months ago, Blu-ray player manufacturers have been falling over themselves trying to offer high-quality entry-level devices that are capable of upscaling DVDs. While this unit does the task slightly better than most, you should seriously consider purchasing a BD-player instead.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Newegg is selling a pure sine wave UPS for just $125 right now
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Nvidia's new generation of powerful GeForce GTX Battlebox PCs finally embraces AMD
- How Thunderbolt 3 won the port wars
- Samsung Galaxy Gear 360: Great for the Galaxy S8, not so much for the iPhone
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- TPSupport Engineer (Security Tools)VIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - SharePoint developerQLD
- FTOAM Specialist | 3-6mth ContractVIC
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCProject ManagerACT
- FTApplication System EngineerACT
- TPSoftware Engineer / DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Business Development Manager| SMSF/Accounting SoftwareNSW
- FTXamarin DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - WintelVIC
- FTSenior Drupal DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior PHP Developer / Technical LeadQLD
- CCSenior Systems EngineerVIC
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- TPAV Design Specialist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- TPSenior Business Systems AnalystQLD
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksNSW
- FTApplication Support EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Data AnalystVIC