Toshiba Tecra A6 (PTA63A-004002)
- It has a decent set of features for its sub-$2000 price tag
- It's performance was slower than expected
A decent, but not particularly inspiring machine, the Tecra A6 will suit those who need an affordable business notebook.
Price$ 1,870.00 (AUD)
Toshiba's latest Tecra, the A6, is a fairly standard notebook. It offers nothing to differentiate itself from the pack, and its performance was a little below expectations in our tests. However, it did offer reasonable battery life and has a reasonably portable form factor, making it a solid but not outstanding product.
It runs a 1.6GHz Intel Core 2 T5500 CPU, 512MB of RAM and an ATI X1400 Mobility Radeon graphics processor. These specifications don't give the A6 a lot of power, but they make for a decent entry-level notebook. Our test results indicate that this machine is really only suitable for basic desktop tasks and the odd bout of gaming nostalgia.
Its score of 55 in World Bench 6 is fairly poor and a little below what we anticipated, given the specifications. Machines with similar, and even slightly slower CPUs have achieved better results. We put this down to the 512MB of RAM, which just isn't enough for a Windows Vista-based system. One gigabyte of RAM would give the A6 a nice little boost in performance, especially when multitasking.
The included Radeon X1400 graphics card does add a small amount of gaming power to the machine's resume. We originally ran 3DMark06, but the machine was barely able to make it through that test, so we kicked it back a few notches and ran 3DMark 2001, where it scored 9809. This shows that the system will be more than capable of playing some older titles. If you want a fairly inexpensive notebook for playing games, this notebook isn't ideal, it's more suited to Web surfing and office application use.
For connectivity, the Tecra A6 ships with gigabit Ethernet, 802.11 a/b/g Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.0. There are also four USB 2.0 ports and one FireWire port, as well as a VGA port for an external monitor. Also present are a Type II PC card slot and a flash memory card reader, which supports most major card types, including Compact Flash, SD, MMC and xD.
The Tecra A6 has a good looking 14" widescreen display. It runs at a resolution of 1280x800 and should be sufficient for using office applications and browsing the Web. Watching DVDs, we found the display's colours to be a little dull and black levels could have been darker.
The keyboard on the Tecra A6 is raised fairly high for a notebook and makes more noise than we're accustomed to when typing. However, it was comfortable to use and fairly spacious. Business users will be pleased with the presence of a fingerprint reader, which can help keep unauthorised users from logging in to the computer.
Weighing 2.26kg, the Tecra A6 is small enough to use on the road, but large enough to be used as a desktop , of sorts.
Our standard battery run down test, MobileMark 2005, is still not compatible with Vista, so in its absence, we ran a DVD rundown test by looping a movie. This is a worst-case scenario as it works the screen, CPU, DVD drive and speakers, and the Tecra A6 lasted 82 minutes during this test. This isn't quite enough to last through a full-length feature film, but when used with a decent power management scheme and when running basic office tasks, it should stay up and running for a little longer.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- MSI GE73 7RF VR Raider Gaming Laptop: Full, in-depth review
- Traditional Aussie PC market defies global downward trend again
- Acer expands gaming notebook lineup with Predator Helios 300
- ASUS Announces Two New Entries into the VivoBook Range with the VivoBook 14 and VivoBook 15
- Hands-on: MSI's GT75VR Titan brings high-end HDR display tech to a gaming laptop
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- First Look: Nikon D850
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCMicrosoft Systems EngineerVIC
- FTTM1 DeveloperOther
- FTSAP Integration ManagerOther
- TPAEM DeveloperVIC
- FTIT Security Technical Business AnalystOther
- FTTechnical Lead - PHP DeveloperQLD
- CCGuidewire Business AnalystQLD
- FTClient Delivery DirectorACT
- FTExperienced Application DeveloperSA
- FTeCommerce Integration Support DeveloperVIC
- FTWebMethods DeveloperOther
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- FTeCommerce Integration Support DeveloperVIC
- FTTIBCO Integration SpecialistOther
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCSenior Reporting Data Analyst - TelcoVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTIT GraduateACT
- FTDigital Marketing ExecutiveOther
- CCProject Coordinator - PMO / Telco Exp - 6 mth contract - Nth SydneyNSW
- CCFeature Team Lead/Technology SpecialistVIC
- FTSecurity Engagement SpecialistNSW
- FTCustomer Marketing ExecutiveOther
- FTIT Business AnalystOther