This on-the-go DVD player is a portable powerhouse.
- Full of features, swivels to tablet format, great colour
- Thick, heavy, low screen resolution
If you can look past the form factor and the non-standard screen resolution, the SD-P91SKY is a powerful portable DVD player that will impress.
Price$ 329.00 (AUD)
Toshiba’s SD-P91SKY is a portable DVD player that does not have the resolution of more expensive units, but instead focuses on extra functionality.
With a dark brushed metal exterior and a few hints of chrome, the player is unobtrusive; we imagine it would quickly get hot if left in direct sunlight. It is significantly thicker than many other portable DVD players we have tested, but this is most likely thanks to a battery life of over five hours and extra support for popular video formats.
Despite its large size and above-average weight, the SD-P91SKY is very convenient for long or cramped car or train trips. This is thanks to the flip-around tablet form factor that means the screen can sit flush with the DVD drive, making it easy to place on a lap or even hold in one hand.
The 9in screen has a resolution of 640x220 — which is, oddly enough, not a standard widescreen ratio. As a result there are some scaling artefacts and jaggedness when watching DVDs. Thankfully, there is no ghosting and the colours are as good as we have seen on a portable unit. High contrast and a wide colour range combine in an image that always looks pleasant and vibrant. Sharpness is also acceptable with good levels of facial detail evident in our V for Vendetta test disc. The viewing angle is also good, with a full picture visible up to 45 degrees off-axis vertically and horizontally.
The in-built speakers are passable. Despite being treble-focused they are never scratchy or harsh, though the fact that volume levels are capped quite early may be annoying for some users.
The player has a simple set of controls on the bottom of the screen, though more can be accessed using the bundled remote. A wide range of connectors and inputs means that the SD-P91SKY can be used in many situations. Composite video along with two headphone jacks and a digital coaxial audio connector take care of output, while composite video/audio and a USB2.0 host port are the player’s inputs. The coaxial audio output can carry DTS and Dolby Digital so an external A/V receiver can decode them — though we cannot see the need for a full 5.1 surround setup with a portable player.
The USB interface is functional, if garish and ugly. It supports MP3, JPEG and DivX formats so an external hard drive full of media can be connected for especially tedious journeys.
If you are looking for a portable DVD player with USB functionality — but do not like the laptop-style form factor — have a look at the tablet-style SD-P91SKY.
Join the newsletter!
cloudandco Smart Cane
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Bose SoundLink Micro
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Xbox One X
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTEnterprise Lean Agile CoachOther
- FTSAS Solution DesignerOther
- FTLevel 1 Application Support (POS)QLD
- CCLinux Platform/Development SpecialistACT
- FTRiggers / Telecommunication RiggersOther
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectOther
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - Telco - App DevOther
- FTLevel 2 Support Engineer | 12mth FTCOther
- CCDynamics CRM Functional Consultant - BrisbaneVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTSalesforce DeveloperOther
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- CCData TesterNSW
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTJava J2EE DeveloperOther
- CCTechnical Support OfficerNSW
- FTSharePoint DeveloperACT
- FTAutomation Test ManagerOther
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystACT
- FTDigital ProducerQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst- Windows 10 SOE rollout projectOther
- FTETL/Data EngineerOther