- Compact, easy to set up
- Limited volume levels, not the longest warranty
Toshiba's SD-63HK is a great solution for those looking for an easy, all-in-one home theatre kit, but its low volume makes it a best suited to a small room.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
Toshiba's SD63HK home theatre kit offers just about everything you need to set up your own home cinema (except a screen). The small system was designed by KOI and features four satellite speakers, a centre speaker, subwoofer and DVD player.
All the satellite speakers feature wall mounts and angled bases so they can be positioned on shelves or stands to beam the sound around a lounge room. The mounting slots are cut in such a way that the speakers can be fixed to walls vertically or horizontally.
Installation was a cinch. All of the cabling is colour-coded to match the corresponding speaker, so you don't have to worry about finding the right socket to connect things. The subwoofer features a bass level control and a line-in from the DVD player.
The DVD player itself is a classy number, including AM/FM radio, optical/coaxial audio in, and composite video inputs. It can also output to a massive range of destinations including SCART, S-Video, component, composite, and the audio out for the speakers. There's even a headphone connector at the rear of the unit. The DVD player features an angled, smoked mirror front, with brightly lit buttons and a large volume knob on the right. It looks great, but the brightness of the buttons (and lack of clear text identifying what they are for) made it difficult to use the machine in the dark. The remote control worked well, however.
The machine supports the standard array of media, including VideoCD, DVD and CD, and offers Dolby Pro Logic and DTS Surround sound.
The audio quality is surprisingly good considering the small size of the speakers, and the subwoofer offers plenty of punch for a small room. We tested the rig with a few DVDs and found it cut through background noise to offer clear sound, but the volume is limited; it's hardly capable of producing ear-splitting audio.
The one-year warranty is less than that offered by some of the competition, but otherwise the Toshiba package is comprehensive. It's quick to set up, offers good quality audio, and the small speakers are ideal if you don't have oodles of space.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Project Controls Officer / CoordinatorOther
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- TPBusiness and Test Analyst | Student Management SystemQLD
- TPProject OfficerVIC
- FTTM1 Application Management AnalystOther
- FTSolution Consultant - Digital TransformationVIC
- CCData Analyst - Google Doc SMEVIC
- FTSystems Engineer (data centre)Other
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- TPAzure DevOps ConsultantNSW
- FTSystem AnalystSA
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Digital ProducerOther
- FTAgile Digital Business AnalystQLD
- FTWeb Developer - Drupal 7 or iApplyNSW
- TPBusiness Intelligence AnalystQLD
- FTSoftware Developer - Delphi, VMS, FortranOther
- FTIT Service Delivery Manager - Workplace Technology (O365 & SP)Other
- CCTest Analysts - agileACT
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCMultiple System Engineers - Data Centre - TelcoVIC
- FTApplication ArchitectOther
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC