Toshiba HDD-J35 HD
- Full HDTV support; HDMI, component and RGB output; huge hard disk
- It ain't pretty
As long as you're not too worried about how it looks, the HDD-J35 is an awesome PVR, with outstanding HDTV support.
Price$ 1,699.00 (AUD)
It's not a pretty device, looking rather like the twin of a VHS player my parents bought in the late 80s--and having an on-screen display that looks like it comes from the same era--but under the hood, the Toshiba is quite the beast. It's a rare full HDTV-supporting PVR with all the bells and whistles, including HDMI and RGB output.
The back of the huge box is home to more inputs and outputs than you can count. It has two aerial loop-thoughs, component in and output, digital audio output via coax or fibre, stereo RCA output for both standard definition displays and HD displays, the RGB port, the HDMI port, S-Video out and component and RCA input. It also has a serial port for software updates. The huge remote that comes with the Toshiba matches the box's lack of style, but it is very functional, offering one-touch access to most PVR functions.
The HDD-J35 has two tuners, which can be used for picture-in-picture viewing or recording one show while watching another. You only need one aerial source, since the Toshiba has a loop-though for the second aerial.
Recording television with the Toshiba is dead easy. Programming is simple, and it supports EPG-based programming and also keeps EPG info with recorded programs, naming them appropriately. Accessing recorded programs is a one-touch operation, and the management of these programs is extremely well implemented.
We recorded a good half-hour of HDTV with the HDD-J35, and it didn't blink. There were no frame skips, no noticeable hard disk churning and perfect picture quality. Even with a TV running at 576i, the HDTV recording looked perfect.
The HDD-J35 comes with a huge 160GB hard disk, capable of storing in excess of 80 hours of SDTV and 20 hours of HDTV. You can also timeshift using the hard disk, although unlike most PVRs, timeshifting is not automatic with the Toshiba--you have to start it manually.
It's not attractive by any means--although it does have a useful digital display on the front which tells you your current channel and where you are in a recorded show--but the Toshiba has it where it counts. It's a real videophile's dream box, although you can expect to pay heavily for it.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTPre-Sales Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCMicrosoft Systems EngineerVIC
- CCData Business AnalystNSW
- FTDesign Delivery Manager - Civil Engineering Background X2Other
- CCTechnical Specialist - Java/OSB/BPELVIC
- CCSolutions Architect - SharepointNSW
- FTSQL DeveloperOther
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTApplication Security Specialist - penetration testing requiredOther
- FTEnterprise Architect - NetworkingOther
- FTHelpdesk Support Officer (Lv1/Lv2)SA
- CCTRIM Support OfficerACT
- FTService Request ManagerSA
- FTNetwork Support EngineerSA
- FTDigital Marketing ExecutiveOther
- FTSenior Software Developer - Java/J2EE/Micro services URGENTOther
- CCJava / J2EE DeveloperVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTTechnical Digital Producer | 6 Month ContractOther
- CCProgrammer Analyst - BrisbaneVIC
- CCWindows 10 Deployment Team LeadVIC
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- FTSenior Java DeveloperWA
- CCOracle Identity & Access Management AdministratorNSW