- Great 1080p/24Hz high-definition playback, excellent DVD upscaling, attractive slimline design, very affordable
- Lacks advanced audio features, slight lag when navigating HD-DVDs
The HD-EP10 from Toshiba is the most affordable HD-DVD player capable of 1080p playback on the market, and is an excellent option for those looking for an inexpensive way to experience HD-DVD.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Toshiba's HD-EP10 is a mid-range HD-DVD player. Although it includes several features above and beyond what the HD-E1 HD-DVD Player offers, it doesn't include the full bevy of options that the flagship model, the HD-XE1 HD-DVD Player does. Nevertheless, it represents an attractive choice for users looking for a HD-DVD player, being one of the most affordable units capable of a full 1080p output on the market.
HD-DVD playback is excellent, and unlike its less expensive cousin, the HD-E1 HD-DVD Player, the EP10 delivers full, 1080p/24Hz high-definition video. The quality is excellent, and the support for 1080p (the HD-E1 only supports a maximum resolution of 1080i) is a noticeable and welcome upgrade. As with most early high-definition players, there's a slight lag when navigating high-definition movies, which is generally only an issue when attempting to skip multiple chapters at once. However, HD-DVD's pop-up menu makes this an often unnecessary process.
The DVD upscaling is excellent, and again resolutions up to 1080p are supported. As with the HD-XE1 HD-DVD Player, upscaling is excellent, and adds much needed levels of detail to DVD movies, especially on larger flatscreens. During testing we didn't notice any undue artefacts or scaling problems, and there was an overall improvement in picture sharpness and detail which will allow users with large DVD collections to continue to enjoy them on high-definition displays.
Audio on the EP10 should satisfy the large majority of users, with support for all the major surround sound formats, including Dolby True HD and dts-HD, although the latter is supported only at a limited bit rate. Unfortunately, these formats are only supported at 5.1, so users with 6.1 or 7.1 systems won't be able to use them to their full extent.
The HD-EP10's design is quite attractive, with a slimline build and neon backlighting on the front panel. The rear panel houses a standard array of connection options, including HDMI and Ethernet, but coaxial audio and analogue 5.1 connections aren't included, which isn't a major omission. The remote is lightweight and well laid out, making it easy to operate the inbuilt menu system, which is similarly well designed.
Overall, the HD-EP10 could quite easily be considered the entry-level HD-DVD player, due to it being the most affordable player capable of 1080p playback and covers the fundamentals of HD-DVD playback exceptionally well. Although it lacks some advanced audio features, it's nevertheless a very impressive player, and a great option for those looking for an entry into the world of HD-DVD.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTLean Six Sigma - Change ConsultantOther
- FTSolution Architect - PermanentQLD
- CCEUS Junior Application Project ManagerNSW
- FTTelecom RiggerOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - RetailOther
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Analyst Programmer - Equities or DerivativesOther
- FTPlatform/DevOps EngineerOther
- CCProgram CoordinatorNSW
- FTPlatform/Technology Manager | Security & GovernanceOther
- FTFunctional Support Consultant - Metering / Billing SystemsOther
- FTJava DeveloperSA
- FT.NET Full Stack DeveloperOther
- TPSenior Infrastructure Specialist (Windows)QLD
- CCSenior Program Support OfficerVIC
- FTSenior Siebel Developer - Canberra/MelbourneOther
- FTSenior Project Manager- Cloud- AWS, Office 365- PRINCE2Other
- FTChange AnalystOther
- TPSenior Communications ManagerACT
- FTSenior Project AnalystOther
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTPHP DeveloperWA
- FTFinance and PeopleSoft Project ManagerOther
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW