Toshiba 19DV615Y LCD television
This 19in TV would make a good choice for a bedroom
- Integrated DVD player, DVD player loads discs quickly, high resolution for a 19in screen, good picture quality
- Slightly chunky, power plug interferes with wall mounting
If you're looking for a small television to put in a bedroom, Toshiba's newest 19in model is a good choice. It has a decent quality picture and a speedy integrated DVD player, and if you aren't going to wall-mount it there are few downsides apart from a questionable price tag.
Price$ 849.00 (AUD)
The Toshiba 19DV615Y is a 19in LCD television with an integrated DVD player. It has good picture quality for its size and the multimedia features are easy to use. If it was cheaper, we’d have no problems recommending it over competitors.
The 19DV615Y LCD television comes with a remote control, and Toshiba is planning to offer a free promotional 12V inverter with the 19in and 22in DV615Y series TVs — so you can run the television from your car’s cigarette lighter socket to keep the kids happy on long trips.
The television's initial channel scan took under two minutes. The internal tuner can handle digital and analog television, so wherever you are in Australia you should be able to get reception if you have a good aerial. Channel reception was as good as we’ve seen on other televisions, with no macro-blocking or artefacts visible on any digital channels.
All you need to get the Toshiba 19DV615Y going is a power cable, but an HDMI port is included for connecting a digital video device such as a Panasonic DMR-BW750 Blu-ray disc recorder. VGA, component, S-Video and composite ports are also built in for analog devices. You can hook up a desktop PC via VGA and take advantage of the screen’s native 1366x768 resolution.
Picture quality from the Toshiba 19DV615Y isn’t fantastic, but it’s acceptable given the small screen size. A contrast ratio of 1000:1 is high enough to make both television and DVD watching reasonably rich and vibrant, but Blu-ray content delivered through the HDMI port might fall a little short of its full potential. A maximum brightness level of 300cd/m2 is enough if you’re sitting close to the screen in a bedroom or study, but in a room significantly larger the screen loses its definition and clarity when viewing from a distance.
The internal DVD player is the standout feature of this television. It’s quiet and quick, loading DVDs in a few seconds. Internal up-scaling of the DVDs is good — while not up to par with the Sharp LC40LB700X, DVD video content is still reasonably detailed.
With a six star energy rating the Toshiba 19DV615Y isn’t going to make a big addition to your house’s energy bill. If it means the kids will stop watching Spongebob on your 50in pride-and-joy plasma and retreat silently to their room, you might even save money in the long run. Toshiba’s 19DV615Y is more expensive than competitors from brands such as Soniq, but the quality of the DVD player is good and the energy rating is appealing.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the newsletter!
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Apple iPhone X
cloudandco Smart Cane
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Toys for Boys
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- CES 2018: Hisense's 2018 TV Lineup Is 'A Whole Other Story' For Australians
- CES 2018: Everything Announced At Sony's Press Conference
- CES 2018: Everything Announced At Samsung's Press Conference
- CES 2018: Everything Announced At Hisense's Press Conference
- CES 2018: Everything Announced At TCL's Press Conference
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Program ManagerNSW
- CCReporting AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Salesforce DeveloperNSW
- CCOperations Support OfficerVIC
- FTDesktop EngineerOther
- FTJunior Account Manager - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTData Analyst / Reporting Analyst - $496.00 per dayOther
- CC.Net DevelopersACT
- TPIntermediate Solution Architect - DataQLD
- FTMobile Developers (Android OR iOS)WA
- TPSenior Business Analyst - TechnicalNSW
- FTApplication/Systems Support AnalystOther
- CCNetwork Technical Specialist L3 x 2 ? Large Telco ? 6 month contract initiallyNSW
- FTSenior Consultant - .NET DeveloperQLD
- CCIteration Manager - TelcoVIC
- FTSecurity Consultant/Snr Security ConsultantVIC
- FTTechnical Support Engineer - OnsiteOther
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCGeospatial Project ManagerNSW
- CCInformation ArchitectNSW
- CCHR/Payroll Solution ArchitectQLD
- FTAccount Commercial and Contract Manager (ANZ)VIC
- FTMajor Incident and Problem SpecialistOther
- TPSolution DesignerVIC