Topfield TF5000PVRt Masterpiece
- USB port, well designed interface
- No HD support
Topfield has done nearly everything right with the TF5000PVRt. It's beautifully designed, can talk to PCs and is only lacking when it comes to HDTV.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
A dual-tuner SDTV PVR, the Topfield TF5000PVRt is, in fact, a Masterpiece. It's an outstanding product, extremely well engineered and thought out. It has a few gremlins, but is certainly one of the best PVRs on the market today. It even looks good, with sleek black styling and a useful digital display.
The on-screen display is top-notch, both intuitive and effective, and channel changes while viewing television are smooth and fast. We were most impressed by the recording timer. You have to go through a couple of menus to find it, but setting a time to record was quick--and it supported daily or weekly scheduling. Unlike most other PVRs, it also recognises weekends and weekdays. In addition, because it has two tuners, you can watch one show while recording another (or watch two shows at once using picture-in-picture).
The Topfield keeps all EPG information with recorded television shows, and gives files sensible names, based on the information contained within the show. Getting a list of your library of recorded shows is a one-touch operation on the remote, and browsing and managing files is breezy.
Timeshifting in the Topfield is implemented near-perfectly. It's always active, so if you decide on a whim to rewind the TV, you can do so. There is some slight stuttering on the rewind, but it's barely noticeable.
The Topfield contains a huge 160GB hard disk, capable of storing 80 hours or more of video. We're not entirely sure about the choice of hard disk model, however, since the acoustics of the hard disk in the PVR are not quite up to scratch. There was a discernable track-change clicking, especially when rewinding video. It's not terrible by any means, and would usually be drowned out by other ambient noises, but it's the only PVR we've looked at that wasn't almost totally silent.
Videophiles would not be disappointed by the output options provided by the Topfield either. It has two SCART outputs, dual antenna loop-through, composite output, S-Video and S/PDIF for digital audio output.
The feature that will put it over the edge for many PC users, however, is the Topfield's support for USB 2.0. By linking the TF5000PVRt to your PC, you can use your PC to archive recorded MPEG-2 videos, or even upload MP3s and MPEG-2 video to the hard disk of the PVR, which the PVR can then play in jukebox style. You need to download file management software, called Altair, from the vendor's Web site to do so, but this is nonetheless a major advantage for an already excellent product.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Bose SoundLink Micro
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPPrincipal Data AnalystQLD
- FTRiggers / Telecommunication RiggersOther
- FTService Desk Consultant - Part TimeOther
- FTTechnical Services AdministratorVIC
- FTReporting Analyst - Planning & ForecastingOther
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTData Centre Support Engineer -| 6mth ContractOther
- FTNetwork Support EngineerSA
- FTTechnical Solutions ArchitectVIC
- FTChange Manager, IT & Business ProjectsOther
- FTTableau DeveloperOther
- FTService Desk Analyst - L1Other
- CCInfrastructure Specialist - Pharmaceutical IndustryVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Systems EngineerVIC
- FTDelphi DeveloperOther
- FTSalesforce DeveloperOther
- CCSAP HR Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Salesforce DeveloperOther
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- FTAdvice Trainer / AdministratorOther
- FTICT Project Coordinator / Project ManagerOther