Toon Boom Animation Storyboard Pro
- Intuitive interface, PDF support, included templates offer quick results
- Price is a bit steep for non-professionals
Storyboard Pro is a user-friendly program that allows you to draw, animate and distribute professional looking storyboards with very little know-how. Filmmakers and artists within the industry should find it to be well worth the asking price.
Price$ 1,364.00 (AUD)
Nine times out of 10, the difference between a good film and a great film will come down to the pre-production phase. Meticulous preparation is the key to a successful shoot, with a detailed storyboard one of the most essential ingredients. To this end, Toon Boom Animation has developed Storyboard Pro; a digital storyboarding application tailor-made for professional storytellers. It allows you to draw visual representations of shots from the ground up, as well as animate key sequences. (For traditionalists, the program also lets you scan in your own pictures and drawings.) It will mostly suit independent filmmakers who want a fast and cost-effective way to plan their shoots, as well as storyboard artists looking for a streamlined transition into the digital era. Naturally, it will also double as a great presentation tool when pitching ideas to financial backers.
Despite being handicapped with a silly name, Toon Boom has earned a respected pedigree in the 2D animation industry; with the recent Simpsons movie largely created using the company's advanced software. With that being said, Storyboard Pro is very much a pre-production tool designed for conceptual purposes; those looking for a fully-fledged animation program would be better off looking elsewhere.
Using Storyboard Pro is a relatively simple affair for anyone versed in cinema language. Veterans of Adobe Flash and After Effects will find the interface vaguely familiar, although the tools on offer (and the ways you use them) are actually quite different. Thankfully, the included manual is well laid out and easy to understand, allowing you to quickly get your head around the basics.
The Toon Boom storyboard layout is made up of Shots (the main frame in a shot) and Panels (additional frames, when applicable, in the same shot). A variety of notations can be added to each frame, with dedicated text fields for dialogue, action notes and technical comments. You can even record audio from within the program and then sync it to your storyboard sequence. This is an incredibly useful feature when it comes to electronic distribution, as it allows you to add detailed descriptions or music/FX. (Completed storyboards can be exported in a variety of different movie formats, as well as PDF files.)
When it comes to creating a panel, StoryBoard Pro comes equipped with a host of innovative drawing tools, including ink, crayon and airbrush modes for achieving different styles. As you would probably expect, the program is compatible with tablet PCs, allowing you to sketch out panels with a stylus pen. For those after quick results, a sizeable library of templates is also offered, allowing you to add backgrounds, actors and props with a few simple mouse clicks. You can also implement camera movements, such as pans, dolly shots and tilts, by selecting the relevant template and dropping it into the sequence (either as a visual indicator, or an actual animation). This makes StoryBoard Pro accessible to practically anyone, with no limits set by artistic or technical ability.
One exceptionally handy tool is the Preview function, which allows you to watch sequential shots in order and adjust the time between frames. This is particularly useful for animated sequences, with any applied motion templates playing out in real time (thus giving a rudimentary indication of the finished product). This is a great way to 'test' proposed sequences before you shoot them – often, something that looks perfectly fine on paper will fly in the face of cinematic convention. An animated preview makes such anomalies a lot easier to spot.
With an RRP of over $1000, Toon Boom Storyboard Pro will not be in the price range of the average Trop Fest hopeful. This is a serious application designed for serious users – only established storyboard artists and independent filmmakers need apply. With that being said, anyone with enough money on their hands will find it to be well worth their time.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
- Amazon confirms early 2018 Australian launch for Alexa and Echo
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- University of Sydney Signs World-First Agreement with Dropbox
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCChange and Communications ManagerQLD
- FTSenior .NET Developer - Back EndOther
- TPICT Business AnalystNSW
- FTDesktop Support Level 2ACT
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- FTCloud Systems EngineerOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst - SalesforceNSW
- TPBusiness Process Improvement AnalystQLD
- CCCapacity ManagerACT
- CCUnix System AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Digital Producer/Digital Program ManagerOther
- TPBusiness Analyst - Health - 12+ month contractQLD
- CCRegulatory Project ManagerNSW
- FTVB DeveloperOther
- FTCyber Security EngineerOther
- CCSenior Test Coordinator - IMRNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Financial ServicesVIC
- CCSenior Agile Project Manager - TelcoVIC
- FTDevops EngineerOther
- FTLead Data Engineer - Greenfield projectQLD
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- FTSales/Account Manager - Government SectorNSW
- CCSolution Delivery Manager/Tech LeadNSW
- TPSenior Content DesignerNSW
- FTPHP Developer (Codeigniter / Cake)NSW