TomTom ONE 140 IQ Routes Edition GPS unit
TomTom adds IQ Routes technology and advanced lane guidance to the entry-level ONE GPS
- Slim design, ease of use, IQ Routes technology, advanced lane guidance, EasyPort mount, TomTom HOME software, Map Share, Help Me! safety menu, preloaded camera alerts
- IQ Routes takes a little longer than usual to calculate route, no included AC adapter
TomTom has added its IQ Routes technology and advanced lane guidance to the entry-level ONE 140 GPS unit. The changes from the previous model are minimal, but with each iteration this excellent GPS series continues to improve.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
TomTom has refreshed its low-end ONE GPS units, and the entry-level unit is now the TomTom ONE 140 IQ Routes Edition. As its name suggests, this is the first low-end TomTom GPS unit to use the company’s new IQ Routes technology, and it also boasts advanced lane guidance and the EasyPort mount system.
The TomTom ONE 140 IQ Routes Edition is almost identical in design to the ONE (4th Edition) — with the exception of the colour scheme. The new model is all-black, with a thin silver trim surrounding the display replacing the silver and grey colour scheme of previous models. The compact design means the TomTom ONE 140 IQ Routes Edition fits snugly into even the smallest of shirt pockets.
TomTom's EasyPort mount, first introduced on the ONE (4th Edition) and XL, is employed once again. This window mount can be left attached to the unit and folded flat after use, meaning the ONE 140 IQ Routes Edition is easy to store with its mount attached. The circular lock means it's quick and easy to mount on your car window, and the well-crafted design allows titling in multiple directions.
The ONE 140 IQ Routes Edition's interface has seen a slight refresh. General ease of use and functions remain very similar to previous units, but the look and feel is slightly different, with smaller icons and a plain white background giving this unit a more professional feel. Our gripe with adjusting preferences remains: after adjusting certain settings and saving them, the TomTom interface goes back to the map display, so you have to navigate through the menu again should you wish to alter further options.
The IQ Routes technology employed in this GPS unit is based on real-life user data rather than the traditional maximum speed method. According to TomTom, the unit determines a route by considering all possible routes and then selecting the one that takes the least time. We did notice a few of the routes used frequently during testing have changed slightly and route calculation did take a little longer than usual.
Advanced lane guidance is another new feature. On multilane roads, an icon in the bottom left corner of the map screen highlights which lane you should be in, depending on your destination. At busy highway junctions this is enhanced by arrows indicating the lane direction combined with a static image of road signs. The signs are the same colour as the ones displayed on the road, so as to minimise confusion.
The ONE 140 IQ Routes Edition has text-to-speech technology, which means that it can say street names as you approach them. The pronunciation is fairly accurate, though it can struggle with longer names.
The general navigational experience remains superb, with highly detailed maps, clear voice instructions and quick rerouting times, while the preloaded fixed speed and red-light camera warnings are a nice addition. When searching, the ONE 140 IQ Routes Edition filters street names by suburbs, narrowing down your search results to a manageable number. The unit is also excellent at obtaining and maintaining a clear GPS signal, even with an obscured view of the sky.
The ONE 140 IQ Routes Edition supports TomTom's Map Share feature. In addition to corrections and improvements to the maps being uploaded every month by other TomTom users, Map Share allows you to make adjustments to maps through the unit itself. Users can add their own POIs, update road changes, edit phone numbers and add new streets. You can then share this information with other TomTom users by uploading the changes via the included TomTom HOME software.
TomTom's 'Help Me' safety feature is also included. This displays information and allows you to navigate (either by car or on foot) to a multitude of services including police stations, hospitals, mechanics, public transport and pharmacies. It also includes first aid, traffic regulation, and repair and maintenance information.
Battery life is rated at up to three hours. TomTom disappointingly doesn't include an AC charger in the sales package, so you'll have to charge the unit via the included USB cable or cigarette lighter adapter.
Join the newsletter!
Apple iPhone X
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Latest Spartan sports watches hit the scene
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
- Google's Pixel Launcher leak hints at the demise of the Nexus brand
- It's official: iOS 10 launches with huge improvements to iMessage, Apple Music, Siri, and more
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTReporting, Analytics and Insights Analyst - $62 p/hrOther
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTSenior Change ManagerOther
- FTSnr Information Security Consultant - IT Services - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTCloud Architect - AWS, Azure, ADOther
- CCPHP DeveloperQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTBackend Java DevelopersNSW
- FTInfrastructure EngineerACT
- FT.NET DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Biz Talk DeveloperNSW
- FTCapability Specialist | Business AnalystOther
- FTTechnical Product ArchitectQLD
- FTSAP Test ManagerACT
- FTChange Analyst, IT & Business ProjectsOther
- FTBusiness AnalaystSA
- FTBusiness Analyst - Change Management - Government backgroundOther
- FTService Desk EngineerOther
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer - C++QLD
- CCScrum Master - BrisbaneNSW
- FTSystems AdministratorOther
- FTSolution Manager - SAPOther
- FTHR Business PartnerOther
- FTC++ Analyst ProgrammerOther