Tivoli Audio SongBook portable radio
Tivoli Audio SongBook radio: A portable AM/FM radio with pleasant sound for its small size
- Clear sound quality with warm mid-range, great AM/FM radio reception
- Far too expensive for a simple AM/FM radio -- it needs to include DAB+ at the very least
Tivoli Audio's SongBook portable radio is aimed at professional travellers. It has a great quality AM/FM tuner and excellent sound quality for its compact size, but it lacks DAB or DAB+ digital radio and is very expensive. It's a pretty product that should fit nicely in a jetsetting executive's briefcase.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
The Tivoli Audio SongBook is a premium radio — it has great sound given its size, it's well built and we think it's attractive — but it comes with a seriously premium price tag. At $399 it's not going to be a product you pick up in the department store when your old radio breaks, but we can see it being taken out of the box for an executive's picnic trip.
Tivoli Audio SongBook: Design and construction
The SongBook is, for a transistor radio, quite tall but reasonably slim — it is roughly the same size as a thick paperback. Its telescopic aerial slots into the body at the top, and all the buttons on the front are clearly labelled. You've got five presets for AM stations and five FM ones, and the radio has clock and alarm functions. If you don't mind its size (it will easily fit into a day-pack or briefcase), it would be a nice hotel-room companion on a domestic or international trip.
The Tivoli Audio SongBook is well constructed, with a high quality glossy painted finish on its fascia. It feels dense and not at all cheap — although tipping the scales at 810g with batteries loaded it might be a bit heavy for lightweight jet-setters. It's water-resistant, with the side-mounted audio input, headphone jack and DC power socket protected by rubber plugs, although Tivoli doesn't go so far as to suggest it's waterproof. It's important to note that the Tivoli Audio SongBook does not have DAB+ digital radio compatibility — it's just a good ol' analog radio, albeit one with a high price tag.
Tivoli Audio SongBook: Features and sound quality
Like with the Tivoli Audio Model One, the SongBook extracts excellent audio from a small speaker — we measure it at around 2.5in, but it has simultaneously warm mid-range and very clear treble. This pleasantly musical sound persists from low volumes all the way to moderately loud — only at maximum volume, which is surprisingly loud, does the SongBook's sound quality start to become slightly unhinged and harsh. Unless you're listening in a large room, or outdoors more than a couple of metres away from the radio, you won't need to hit maximum volume. For almost all users the Tivoli Audio SongBook will have more than adequate sound quality — it's possibly the best we've heard from a portable radio.
As well as tuning in (with the help of the digital tuner which lets you hit station frequencies spot-on, rather than an analog dial) to AM and FM radio, the Tivoli Audio SongBook has an auxiliary input port on the side to which you can connect any 3.5mm-compatible device. We used an Apple iPhone 4 for most of our testing, but you could also hook up an MP3 player or portable media player — the SongBook acts as a useful portable speaker to boost your music player's sound output, even if it is a bit bulky for this purpose.
Tivoli Audio SongBook: Conclusion
The price is what holds the Tivoli Audio SongBook back from being an easy recommendation. If it were $100 or $150 cheaper we'd have no hesitations in recommending it to mainstream buyers, thanks to its impressive sound quality. At $399, it's restricted to buyers with deep pockets.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Google announces new AFL and NRL integrations for Home and Assistant
- B&O Launches The Spring/Summer 2018 Collection
- Samsung Announces New 2018 Television Lineup
- Samsung’s Next TV is a Real Frame-Changer
- Express Your Style With Ultimate Ears WONDERBOOM Freestyle Collection
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- MWC 2018: Everything You Need To Know
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSecurity Operations Specialist (SIEM)Other
- TPBusiness AnalystsVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst (Junior - Mid Level)NSW
- TPSAP FICO Functional ConsultantQLD
- FTSecurity, Risk and Compliance LeaderQLD
- FTDigital Integration Practitioner - BRF/DSMACT
- TPEL1 Project ManagerACT
- FTSenior Project Manager - Wealth/BankingOther
- CCNetwork Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCAutomation Tester - Selenium Web DriverVIC
- FTDigital Marketing Manager - Affiliates and PartnersOther
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- FTProject Manager/Business Analyst (Hybrid role)SA
- CCAcceptance TesterNSW
- FTAgile Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTUX Design Manager (Urgent!!)Other
- CCWindows System Admin with IIS - Insurance ClientQLD
- CCData Engineer (Java / Scala / Agile) - Government - Contract - SydneyNSW
- TPSQL SSAS BI DeveloperQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Change MaangerACT
- FTMultiple Angular ExpertACT
- FTChange ManagerOther