WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2010
There's a lot to like about Smackdown 10
- Same great wrestling action, community sharing makes creating characters a breeze
- Wrestling legends are horribly under-represented
SSmackdown vs. Raw 2010 has managed to stay fresh and appealing by authentically recreating the WWE experience and providing a bevy of tools to support user generated content and community.
Price$ 109.95 (AUD)
The Smackdown vs Raw franchise is quickly becoming the Madden of pro wrestling. With a yearly release cycle and a juggernaut reputation, it's on its way towards establishing itself as the premier video game wrestling series. But rather than coasting on its own momentum, the way some past Madden titles have, Smackdown vs Raw 2010 continues to up the ante with more of everything fans love about the series and then some.
THQ's Smackdown vs. Raw series has become a staple video game sports franchise, garnering an extensive fanbase of rabid pro wrestling diehards. But that diehard following comes with a price: namely, pull-no-punches criticism when things go awry. Fortunately this year's iteration has much to offer where user generated content, creativity, and sharing takes center stage and it's sure to please franchise fanatics who want another excuse to climb into the ring.
In this corner...
The most touted addition to the franchise is the new Story Designer mode which allows you to create your own ongoing drama filled episodes of WWE programming. At your disposal are a multitude of options for crafting the perfect episode of Monday Night RAW, from scripting the opening promo to setting up a sneak attack on a superstar to soften them up for their upcoming bout. You can use created wrestlers as well and it's satisfying to take virtual versions of your friends and put them through the WWE soap opera wringer. This is the sort of depth the series needs and will increase the longevity of the game exponentially
Create a wrestler is as robust as ever while creations can now be shared online for download, something inept face morphing artists like myself have longed for. With the community sharing feature, I can just download the best Jake "The Snake" Roberts and "Ravishing" Rick Rude models instead of painstakingly creating my own.
And it's a good thing they streamlined the sharing feature because it's painfully obvious that THQ is shuttling the vast majority of pro wrestling legends to the Legends of Wrestlemania series. Outside of a small handful of exceptions, this year's roster is made entirely of current WWE competitors. I understand the decision-they want to keep it focused on the current roster-but I'm sure the old school fanbase will complain.
Still, there's a lot to like about Smackdown 10. The fantastic Road to Wrestlemania mode, for instance, is back, once again allowing you to play through unique stories for popular WWE personalities and your own created wrestler. This year's version is even better than last year's as the story arcs and writing are exactly on par with, or better than, what you'd see on an actual episode of Monday Night Raw. Voice acting, which once sounded tinny and painfully obvious it was recorded in studio is better than ever. Extra special props to Edge for turning in a performance fit for a king; his "girlfriend voice" is laugh-out-loud funny.
Whatcha Gonna Do?
SSmackdown vs. Raw 2010 has managed to stay fresh and appealing by authentically recreating the WWE experience and providing a bevy of tools to support user generated content and community. It doesn't reinvent the wheel with new gameplay mechanics or revamped graphics, but WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2010 excels once again as the definitive pro wrestling game on the market. Fans of the series and pro wrestling alike should definitely put it in their queues.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 3 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 5 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
Latest News Articles
- Destiny 2: The 5 key things PC gamers need to know
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft's Phantom Dust remaster brings the cult Xbox classic to PCs, for free
- This year's Steam Summer Sale dates have already leaked
- How to play the Quake Champions open beta this weekend
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCSenior Data AnalystVIC
- FTSoftware TesterACT
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- CCABAP ConsultantACT
- CCProject Manager - Grant managementNSW
- TPSenior .Net DeveloperSA
- CCDevOps Engineer with strong Docker skills - Contract - North Shore SydneyNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- FTBUSINESS TECHNOLOGY PARTNERVIC
- FTIntegration & Business Intelligence ManagerNSW
- TPSharepoint DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTProgram SchedulerVIC
- TPAV Design Specialist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- FTSecurity ConsultantNSW
- TPMS Access/SQL DBAQLD
- FTPrincipal Project ManagerVIC
- FTField Engineer - Hardware DeploymentsNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTClient Onboarding ManagerNSW
- CCScrum MasterNSW
- TPTechnical Business AnalystQLD