App review: 2013 Australian Open for Android
The official Australian Open tennis app for 2013 includes live video streaming in addition to scores and stats
- Straightforward UI
- Detailed and efficient
- Live Coverage
- No player filter for results
For fans of tennis and the Australian Open, owning this app is a no-brainer. It is free for iOS and Android, and provides real-time information on the tournament. As a bonus, it offers Live Coverage on-the-go, which is unmetered for Optus customers.
The 2013 Australian Open app not only provides real-time information on scores, schedules, news, and players, there is also a Live Coverage feature that allows you to stream matches live on your phone. You'll never have to miss another Sharapova grunt again!
As a sports fanatic, I have played with a ridiculous number of apps in search of finding favourites. To date, the 2013 Australian Open app has proven to be one of the more efficient and informative guides I've seen. The app is able to deliver all necessary information regarding the tennis tournament through a well-designed, simple, and functional user interface.
The app’s home page is organised. Rather than flooding you with a number of news links to recent events and outcomes, like seen in many other sports apps, you are greeted with an image of some tennis stars, which sits above a series of tabs that break up all of the apps features.
Live Coverage sits at the top of this list, and overall, works like a gem. While the quality of the stream is not jaw-dropping in the least, it is sufficient. Besides, the lower quality can help with conserving data usage, although if you are with Optus then the streaming will be free on your mobile.
Beneath Live Coverage lie the following features: Scores, Draws, Schedule, News, Players, AO Radio Live, Event Guide, Video Gallery, Photos, and Shop. It is all straightforward.
The Scores, Draws, Schedule, and Players sections have the same layout. The bulk of the screen features the selected information; at the top sits a filter which, for example, allows you to view a certain round of the tournament, or to see the men’s singles outcomes only. Unfortunately, there is no way to filter Scores, Draws, or Schedule by player. The other tabs are categorised and equally simple to use.
For fans wanting to get involved, the AO Radio Live segment allows users to submit questions to the commentary booth while listening to the matches that are in progress.
2013 Australian Open also caters for those heading to Melbourne Park, with ticketing, stadium, venue, and other information all provided by the Event Guide.
Developer: Tennis Australia
Reviewed on: Samsung Galaxy Note II
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Gboard update brings text selection mode and resizing to Android keyboard app
- Google might be gearing up to remove millions of Play Store apps next month
- WhatsApp finally launches video calling
- Google Play is cracking down on fake reviews and fraudulent install numbers
- Google Maps for Android adds 'OK Google' voice, navigation commands and other search tricks
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTBusiness Process ConsultantNSW
- FTService Delivery Manager - Telecommunications InfrastructureNSW
- FTFull Stack .Net DeveloperWA
- FTSenior Microsoft EngineerVIC
- CCCloud Architect - AWSVIC
- CCPega DeveloperWA
- CCGIS Consultant/ Developer - BRISBANEQLD
- FTSr Infrastructure Automation EngineerACT
- CCSoftware & Applications Programmer/DeveloperACT
- FTIT Support EngineerNSW
- FTInformation Management Business Capability AnalystACT
- FTsolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSupport OfficerSA
- FTManual TesterACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - Banking/FinanceNSW
- FTProject Manager - Accountin Finance and AssetWA
- FTCustomer Account Officers x3NSW
- CCWintel Server EngineerNSW
- CCJava Developer - IntergrationQLD
- FTUAT CoordinatorQLD
- CCSenior Communications Advisor - Australian TelcoVIC
- CCDevOps Engineer with strong Docker skills - Contract - North Shore SydneyNSW
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTTechnical WriterACT