Telstra Corporation Next G Turbo 7 Series USB Modem
- Fast speeds with 98.8 per cent coverage in Australia, reliable, ease of setup, USB connection
- Plans still quite pricey, expensive international roaming
The new Turbo 7 Series cards are the fastest we've reviewed to date. Although plans are still quite expensive, the Next G service is impressive on a whole.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
Telstra's latest wireless notebook cards claim to deliver download speeds bursting at up to 6Mbps, and upload speeds of up to 1.3Mbps. The Turbo 7 Series, marketed at business users, come in ExpressCard or USB variants and are the fastest mobile broadband cards we've reviewed to date.
Capable of connecting to the Internet at High Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA) speeds bursting up to 6Mbps, the Next G Turbo 7 Series USB modem card offers an enticing alternative for users without a PCMCIA or ExpressCard slot. Despite quoted burst speeds only achievable in CBD, metro and selected regional areas, the Turbo 7 Series remains the fastest card on the market to date. The Next G network covers 98.8 per cent of Australia's population and the speeds we achieved were some of the best of any mobile broadband service we've reviewed.
We formally tested the USB Modem in our office (based in St Leonards), though we also used it travelling in and around the Sydney and North Sydney CBD zones. For consistency, we performed a number of tests, ranging from small amounts of data like e-mails and Web browsing, to streaming services and then the downloading of files ranging from 1MB to 49MB in size.
For basic e-mail and Web browsing, the Turbo 7 Series is excellent, loading common sites like The Sydney Morning Herald and News.com.au, while it also experienced no major issues streaming video from YouTube.
Downloading files while in a HSDPA coverage area (St Leonards), we were able to achieve speeds of up to 350KBps but regularly fluctuating between 170KBps and 260KBps. For example, a 49MB iTunes download took 3min 22sec to download, averaging a speedy 248KBps. To ensure consistency, we downloaded the file three times, the Turbo 7 Series producing a low of 178KBps, to a high of 268KBps for the 49MB file.
The Turbo 7 Series features international roaming, meaning the service can be used in a number of countries overseas. Unfortunately, the device is limited by the network it's running on, so speeds will be slower until other countries up their speed capacity. At $15 per MB, it certainly doesn't come cheap.
The included Telstra Turbo Connection Manager software is quite basic, but fairly effective. You can take a quick glance at current connection strength and the amount of data sent and received in your current session. The step-by-step quick start guide comes in handy for first time users.
Telstra offers a range of plans and pricing for the Turbo 7 Series, depending on usage patterns. For more details, check out the data plans data plans available. On a 24-month contract of $59 or more per month, the Turbo 7 Series USB Modem can be purchased for $149.
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
- Amazon confirms early 2018 Australian launch for Alexa and Echo
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- University of Sydney Signs World-First Agreement with Dropbox
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCCapacity ManagerACT
- FTRail Program Manager/ Senior PMOther
- FTBusiness Analyst (Engineer) Mining SystemsOther
- FTHFC Project Manager (Delivery) - ContractVIC
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- CCUser Interface DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Technical Test AnalystOther
- FTProject Coordinator, Technology ProjectsOther
- CCSecurity SpecialistQLD
- CCLead Technical Specialist ? Wintel PlatformVIC
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperOther
- FTVarious DevelopersACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst - MortgagesOther
- CCLead Technical Specialist ? Storage & BackupsVIC
- FTSenior Test AnalystNSW
- FTSenior System AdministratorOther
- FTImplementation ManagerNSW
- TPProject ManagerACT
- FTAPI DeveloperOther
- TPProject CoordinatorVIC
- CCSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- CCWeb DeveloperNSW
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Analyst Programmer C++ - Financial Services - Permanent - SydneyNSW