Telstra Corporation Movies
- Excellent selection, easy to use interface, outstanding DVD turnaround
- Pricing could be better
BigPond movies is easily the best online DVD rental service beating out its competition in spades.
Price$ None (AUD)
Usually when someone like Telstra BigPond moves into a field that is dominated by well established competition, you expect their services to be below-par. When BigPond entered the online DVD rental market in this country it was up against some stiff competition. At first, they faltered a little with poor disc packing which resulted in an exorbitant number of discs being near-destroyed in transit. Back then, it was common for their DVDs to fail during playback resulting in many disappointed customers returning their films without seeing the ending.
Thankfully, times have changed and BigPond has learned from its mistakes. Not only do the DVDs now come in a protective sleeve but the delivery of those DVDs is rapid with an unmatched turnaround of only 2 days from the time a DVD is sent back and the time a new disc is received. This, above all else, was the most impressive thing we noticed when we did our comparative roundup of Australian online DVD rental services in April 2006.
BigPond movies has over 18,000 titles in their catalogue supported by an intuitive website that makes searching for DVDs a breeze. Grouped via genre, top 10, most popular, coming soon and the like, the site makes compiling a list of desired titles extremely easy. All a user needs to do is make a list of DVDs they wish to see and, according to the plan they are on, up to 4 DVDs will be sent to them at a time.
In our testing we made a list of 15 titles and signed up for a trial account. BigPond has the best trial on the market with a full month of free DVDs. Within 2 days of making our list we received our first batch of DVDs. We sent them back that day and two days later we received 4 more. The DVDs in our list were broken into 10 new and recent releases and 5 older titles. Of the 12 DVDs we received in the first two weeks of the trial, only 2 were older titles.
As far as pricing goes BigPond Movies is about the same as their competitor, Quickflix. However, BigPond members get huge discounts on the service making it the cheapest service available. Since not everyone is a BigPond member, we have taken their standard rates as gospel and used them as the basis of our scoring and comparisons.
BigPond's customer service and notification policy is based on minimal contact, which we quite appreciated. The only email we received from them was one single email per shipment informing us they had received our DVDs and what titles they were sending out. This was refreshing considering the numerous emails we received from the other two carriers.
Overall, BigPond is easily the best online DVD rental service in this country and should be seriously considered for people who love movies. Their one month trial is more than enough time to discover whether the service is for you and cancelling the service in the event that you are not interested is completely painless.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDevOps & PHP DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Financial MarketsVIC
- FTOffice Manager / PAOther
- FTChange ManagerACT
- CCMaximo Developer - Telco ClientVIC
- TPProject Manager - ApplicationsQLD
- CCSenior Solution Architect - Brisbane locationNSW
- FTData AnalystOther
- TPSystems AdministratorQLD
- CCReact DeveloperQLD
- TPIT Storage EngineerVIC
- CCIOS DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - End User ComputingOther
- CCTechnical WriterQLD
- TPAutomation TesterACT
- FTMDM ArchitectOther
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTData Analyst/DeveloperNSW
- FTSignalling Project ManagerOther
- FTUX & Research SpecialistOther
- FTField EngineerOther
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- TPProject Manager - Senior Application Specialist - HealthcareQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst - CMS / DMSOther
- FTScrum MasterNSW