Telstra Corporation Movies
- Excellent selection, easy to use interface, outstanding DVD turnaround
- Pricing could be better
BigPond movies is easily the best online DVD rental service beating out its competition in spades.
Price$ None (AUD)
Usually when someone like Telstra BigPond moves into a field that is dominated by well established competition, you expect their services to be below-par. When BigPond entered the online DVD rental market in this country it was up against some stiff competition. At first, they faltered a little with poor disc packing which resulted in an exorbitant number of discs being near-destroyed in transit. Back then, it was common for their DVDs to fail during playback resulting in many disappointed customers returning their films without seeing the ending.
Thankfully, times have changed and BigPond has learned from its mistakes. Not only do the DVDs now come in a protective sleeve but the delivery of those DVDs is rapid with an unmatched turnaround of only 2 days from the time a DVD is sent back and the time a new disc is received. This, above all else, was the most impressive thing we noticed when we did our comparative roundup of Australian online DVD rental services in April 2006.
BigPond movies has over 18,000 titles in their catalogue supported by an intuitive website that makes searching for DVDs a breeze. Grouped via genre, top 10, most popular, coming soon and the like, the site makes compiling a list of desired titles extremely easy. All a user needs to do is make a list of DVDs they wish to see and, according to the plan they are on, up to 4 DVDs will be sent to them at a time.
In our testing we made a list of 15 titles and signed up for a trial account. BigPond has the best trial on the market with a full month of free DVDs. Within 2 days of making our list we received our first batch of DVDs. We sent them back that day and two days later we received 4 more. The DVDs in our list were broken into 10 new and recent releases and 5 older titles. Of the 12 DVDs we received in the first two weeks of the trial, only 2 were older titles.
As far as pricing goes BigPond Movies is about the same as their competitor, Quickflix. However, BigPond members get huge discounts on the service making it the cheapest service available. Since not everyone is a BigPond member, we have taken their standard rates as gospel and used them as the basis of our scoring and comparisons.
BigPond's customer service and notification policy is based on minimal contact, which we quite appreciated. The only email we received from them was one single email per shipment informing us they had received our DVDs and what titles they were sending out. This was refreshing considering the numerous emails we received from the other two carriers.
Overall, BigPond is easily the best online DVD rental service in this country and should be seriously considered for people who love movies. Their one month trial is more than enough time to discover whether the service is for you and cancelling the service in the event that you are not interested is completely painless.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- Moto X4 review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBusiness Analyst - Accounting / Financial DataOther
- CCETL DeveloperNSW
- TPIT Security EngineerQLD
- FTJava DevelopersSA
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSAP Operations AnalystOther
- FTIntegration Specialist / DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Test Engineer - Telecom domainVIC
- TPICT Infrastructure Project ManagerQLD
- FTIT Security Assurance AnalystOther
- FTPersonal AssistantSA
- CCData Business AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager - IT RecruitmentOther
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Business Case - Risk & Compliance - ContractNSW
- FTNet DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Test Engineer - Insurance domainVIC
- FTSERVICE DESK - ENTRY LEVELSA
- FTBusiness Systems Analyst - HR SystemsOther
- FTSenior EAM ConsultantQLD
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystVIC
- CCTech PM - SecurityNSW
- FTIT Rollout TechnicianSA
- FTMessage Queue / DataPower AdministratorACT
- CCSAP HR / Payroll AnalystWA
- FTERP Consultant - Project SystemsQLD