Telstra Mobile Foxtel iPhone app
Telstra's streaming mobile television service gets an upgrade on the iPhone
- Relatively quick to load, good video and audio quality, on-screen channel selector, can record to your iQ or iQ2 box at home, full program guide included, content is unmetered
- Lack of daily updates means you'll often watch repeats, full screen mode doesn't automatically activate
Telstra's Mobile Foxtel for iPhone app is an ideal time-filler if part of your daily routine is spent sitting on public transport.
In the short space of four months, Telstra has gone from not supporting the Mobile Foxtel service on the iPhone at all to producing a dedicated app for it. The Telstra Mobile Foxtel for iPhone app features an intuitive channel selector and an integrated TV guide, but heavy users will become annoyed by the lack of daily updates on many channels.
Despite offering the Mobile Foxtel service on most Next G phones for quite some time, it was only last October that Telstra enabled iPhone access to the service. The telco has now gone one step further, producing a dedicated Mobile Foxtel app for the Apple's smartphone that is faster, more intuitive and easier to use than the Web-based portal.
Requiring Wi-Fi to be turned off to operate, the app is well-designed and generally zippy. The Mobile Foxtel service is unmetered, which means it can be viewed without incurring any data charges within Australia. The service consists of five packs and a total of 30 channels including entertainment, sport, news, kids and music content.
The home screen of the app consists of a channel list, the program guide for these mobile channels, and a subscription list page where you can view the packs or channels you've subscribed to. The Telstra Mobile Foxtel for iPhone app includes the full Foxtel TV guide. If you subscribe to Foxtel at home and you have an IQ or IQ2 digital video recorder you can use the app to schedule recordings.
Telstra claims all content has been optimised to suit the iPhone display. Video quality is excellent considering the content is streamed. There is no sign of buffering or lag once streaming starts, and the video is smooth. You can watch in full screen mode or in a smaller window, but the app doesn't automatically activate full screen mode when the iPhone is tilted. The best feature of the app is the on-screen channel selector. This small pop-up bar allows you to change and scroll through channels without having to interrupt the broadcast you're currently watching.
The Telstra Mobile Foxtel for iPhone app is handy for commuting, particularly if you spend a chunk of your mornings and afternoons riding public transport. However, the content is mostly news and documentaries — we found that most of the entertainment and other channels aren't refreshed on a daily basis, so you'll often end up seeing the same episodes of shows repeated for up to a week.
The Telstra Mobile Foxtel for iPhone app is free, but you'll need to subscribe to a package in order to watch the content. Package pricing depends on which channels you want, but the ultimate combo (all 30 channels) is $18 per month, $49 for three months or $89 for six months. You can also subscribe to two packs for $12 per month, or purchase a full day pass for $4.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- It's official: iOS 10 launches with huge improvements to iMessage, Apple Music, Siri, and more
- Which iPhones, iPads, and iPods support iOS 10?
- Lab results find the iPhone SE fails the bendgate and waterproof test
- Apple developing new batteries to improve energy capacity in devices
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTTechnical Lead - PHP DeveloperQLD
- FTInfrastructure/ Hybrid Cloud Architect - Government OrganisationVIC
- TP.Net ArchitectQLD
- CCNetwork Planner - TelcoVIC
- FTProcess Specialist x 2Other
- TPSenior Consultant - ServiceNowNSW
- CCService Management SpecialistNSW
- FTSolution Architect - Enterprise VoiceSA
- CCSenior DevOps EngineerVIC
- FTRESTful services - Senior Tech LeadACT
- TPSharePoint Business AnalystVIC
- FTMultiple SOC Analyst RolesOther
- FTBI Service Operations LeadOther
- CCService Desk ConsultantNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Solution Architect - Data CentreACT
- CCDatabase AnalystNSW
- CCTRIM Support OfficerWA
- CCPenetration TesterNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst – Office 365 ProjectOther
- CCScrum Master / Project ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Enterprise ArchitectNSW