Telstra Corporation EasyTouch Discovery
Designed for seniors and first-time mobile users.
- Large buttons, numbers read out aloud when pressed, help tutorial and DVD, reasonable features list, excellent call quality
- Flimsy feeling hinge, front surface is fingerprint magnet, ugly and bland design
The EasyTouch Discovery will appeal to plenty of users, specifically those who appreciate the feel of large buttons and those who are new to the world of mobile phones.
Price$ 429.00 (AUD)
Designed in collaboration with a seniors group, Telstra's EasyTouch Discovery is a mobile phone targeted at first-time and elderly users. Featuring extra large buttons and straightforward menus, the EasyTouch Discovery still manages to pack in a reasonable number of features.
It is a plain and rather dull handset. Manufactured by ZTE, which produces most Telstra-branded phones, this phone's build quality doesn't feel the best. The flip hinge feels flimsy and the front of the handset sways slightly from side to side when closed. A mirrored-style finish attempts to add a bit of class, but you will spend most of your time cleaning fingerprints from it.
Flipping open the EasyTouch Discovery reveals a fairly large display and one of the largest keypads we've seen on a mobile phone to date. The keys are slightly smaller than those of the KF300, but they provide excellent tactile feedback. The rest of the controls are also quite large: a five-way navigational pad is flanked by dual selection buttons, video call, speakerphone and clear keys and answer/end call buttons. If you're constantly frustrated by phones with tiny buttons and keypads, then the EasyTouch Discovery will be a godsend.
Ease of use is the name of the game, and Telstra has obliged by providing a straightforward and simple menu. The phone speaks the numbers you type on the keypad out loud, which ideal for people who are vision-impaired. In addition, a tutorial DVD is included in the sales package. The DVD includes instructions even for basic functions such as sending messages and making calls. There is a help file in the main menu that also explains how to perform basic tasks.
The EasyTouch Discovery is a Next G phone and therefore comes with all the extra features of the network, including the full suite of BigPond services and Mobile FOXTEL. A 3-megapixel camera (with no flash) that doubles as a video recorder, e-mail messaging, Bluetooth with A2DP, an FM radio, A-GPS, a media player and a full range of PIM functions such as an alarm, calendar, stopwatch and a calculator are included. Conveniently, a small adapter in the sales package allows the connection of a regular 3.5mm headphone jack.
Perhaps the best feature of the EasyTouch Discovery is the call quality — it is among the best we've heard from a mobile phone. Incoming audio is superb and outgoing audio is loud, although it does tend to pick up a bit too much background and wind noise. The EasyTouch is available on Telstra's $20 per month plan over a 24 month contract.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- OnePlus 5 rumors: Everything we know about the upcoming budget flagship
- Google makes the best Android apps easier to find with Android Excellence
- Motorola's Z2 Play comes with a smaller battery, a higher price tag, and new Moto Mods
- Sony outs launch details for its Xperia XZ Premium flagship and futuristic Touch projector
- Andy Rubin's Essential Phone is finally here and it's weird
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDigital BA | App Dev Environment | 6 month contract roleOther
- FTSenior Agile ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Citrix Engineer / LeadNSW
- FTSupport AnalystOther
- FTNetwork Security EngineerOther
- FTPresales Solution Architect - NetworksVIC
- FTEmail Marketing Specialist/ Campaign SpecialistOther
- FTMicrosoft Azure Cloud EngineerOther
- TPProject Coordinator / Junior Project ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Network Engineer - SMEOther
- TPSenior Communications ManagerACT
- FTSCCM Engineer / SpecialistOther
- CCDigital Content SpecialistNSW
- FTWorkforce AnalystOther
- FTSenior Full Stack Web DeveloperOther
- FTOffice & Operations AdministratorNSW
- TPTest ManagerVIC
- FTDigital Records ManagerACT
- CCSAP Hana DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Software EngineerACT
- TPICT Customer Support Officer - ArmidaleNSW
- FTConsultant Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Risk Analyst | 6mth ContractOther
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- FTService Delivery ManagerOther