TechSmith Camtasia Studio 7
If you need to edit and produce screencasts, or capture and share PowerPoint presentations and webcam footage, TechSmith Camtasia Studio 7 is the best software we've seen for the job
- Easy to use
An easy-to-use bargain to those who require its functionality, and an expensive burden to those who don't: TechSmith Camtasia Studio 7 is the best software of its type. Whether that makes it worth $370 to you and your business depends on your screencast-editing needs. If you regularly produce branded video software tutorials, Camtasia is a must.
Price$ 370.00 (AUD)
Existing Camtasia users will know that creating and editing projects is absurdly simple. Improvements in TechSmith Camtasia Studio 7 include a revamped and improved user interface. This is now a Windows 7-like shiny number, with a tabbed horizontal taskbar that offers easy access to all of Camtasia's many editing features.
A useful addition to TechSmith Camtasia Studio 7 is cursor effects. This feature gives you the opportunity to edit out the cursor from your screen capture footage, or edit its appearance. This is easy to use and potentially very valuable, if you are making a video tutorial, for instance. Camtasia Studio can capture keyboard strokes during recordings, too - keystroke combinations can be displayed as text captions.
One feature new to TechSmith Camtasia Studio 7 that we really like is Libraries. This easy-to-use function starts from the premise that certain elements will be consistent throughout your projects. These may include introductions, background music, titles, watermarks, logos and transitions.
Libraries allows you to group together these elements so that rolling them out consistently across each project is a cinch – very useful in the business marketing environments that Camtasia will most likely call home. It also lets you bookmark any frequently used elements to call up quickly when required.
So TechSmith Camtasia Studio 7 is, in essence, a full-blown video editor for footage captured on your PC. It also makes uploading to YouTube a single click affair; but is such functionality worth the $370 asking price?
We're not totally enamoured of Camtasia's basic, built-in titles editor. You can make captions and subtitles, but you can't export them as text files. And there's no support for closing credits or rollovers. This is less than impressive for a premium product such as TechSmith Camtasia Studio 7.
In the credit column, Techsmith provides excellent online video guides and tutorials to help you get the most out of Camtasia Studio 7.
In Australia Techsmith Camtasia Studio 7 is distributed by Microway.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Acer Predator Triton 300 SE review: Affordable GeForce RTX performance in a slim package
- 2 Jackery Explorer 1000 Portable Power Station review: Good for venturing off the grid
- 3 Razer Naga Trinity review: The last best MMO gaming mouse
- 4 Dynabook Portégé X30W-J – a very good all-rounder
- 5 Google Pixel 5 Review: Soft Reboot
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Software can overclock your Ryzen CPU now, too
- Unpatched Office attack reminds us: Don't click every doc you're sent
- Windows 11's dark mode has its own dark sounds
- Microsoft adds another Start to Windows
- Microsoft unveils space program for Aussie start-ups
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
- iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro: The cheapest way to get these new handsets in Australia
- 10 fun, funky, and ultra-cool iPhone 13 cases you can buy right now
- How to download proof of Covid-19 vaccination to your smartphone in Australia
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies