Tech 21 Evo Check protective phone case for Google Pixel XL review: First Pixel case we've seen
Nope. Still ugly.
- Quite thick
- Phone is still ugly
If you're spending that much on a phone it's worth looking after it. This case is quite thick but we're confident it will offer significant impact protection from some angles.
Price$ 45.00 (AUD)
We like the Google Pixel XL phone. But it’s ugly. And if you’re spending that much on a phone then you should probably protect it.
The first case we've seen is the Evo Check case which provides a thick, flexible bumper around the sides of the phone and which slightly protrudes ahead of the screen and covers the back. The actual material is called FlexShock and it’s designed to harden on impact. Tech 21 says it will protect the phone against drops of 2m – something we’re not prepared to test. However, this material does have a history and you can read more about it here.
Tech 21 boasts that the material is much thinner than cases that provide similar levels of protection and this may be true. However, it does make the Pixel XL feel significantly wider and phablety – we had to use a bit more effort to curve our fingers round onto the screen.
The rear of the case has a ‘weaved’ design effect but at the end of the day you can’t polish a turd and it makes the dull-looking Pixel look even more like a brick. The cutaways which expose the ports and camera aren’t subtle either – the phone case equivalent of being hewn by an axe – and they draw a bit more attention to the Pixel’s unsubtle vents at the bottom.
Nonetheless, this case is more about protection than anything else and it’s thick enough to convince us that it will offer that. It comes in black or clear and costs $45.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Judge paves the way for British hacker's extradition to US
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Is My Smart Speaker Always Listening?
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTMultiple Angular ExpertACT
- FTSystems Engineer (UC)QLD
- FTNetezza Developer - Brisbane locationNSW
- FTSAP Test AnalystsACT
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer l MPLS, switching, BGP, OSPF, MPBGPNSW
- CCData Migration LeadACT
- FTTechnical Quality LeadVIC
- FTWindows 10 Deployment ManagerOther
- CCProject ManagerACT
- FTLead Business AnalystOther
- FTSenior Change AnalystOther
- FTSupport EngineerOther
- CCDelivery Manager - Cloud Solution ProjectNSW
- CCRequirements AnalystACT
- TPChange Lead | UtilitiesQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst - Wealth & Fund Management ApplicationsOther
- FTSenior DeveloperWA
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Corporate SuperOther
- FTClient Delivery DirectorACT
- FTSAP HCM Lead - ECS.111, SAP HR PA/OMOther
- CCSolution ArchitectWA
- CCSQL Database AdministratorQLD
- FTService Centre ConsultantQLD