Tech 21 Evo Check protective phone case for Google Pixel XL review: First Pixel case we've seen
Nope. Still ugly.
- Quite thick
- Phone is still ugly
If you're spending that much on a phone it's worth looking after it. This case is quite thick but we're confident it will offer significant impact protection from some angles.
Price$ 45.00 (AUD)
We like the Google Pixel XL phone. But it’s ugly. And if you’re spending that much on a phone then you should probably protect it.
The first case we've seen is the Evo Check case which provides a thick, flexible bumper around the sides of the phone and which slightly protrudes ahead of the screen and covers the back. The actual material is called FlexShock and it’s designed to harden on impact. Tech 21 says it will protect the phone against drops of 2m – something we’re not prepared to test. However, this material does have a history and you can read more about it here.
Tech 21 boasts that the material is much thinner than cases that provide similar levels of protection and this may be true. However, it does make the Pixel XL feel significantly wider and phablety – we had to use a bit more effort to curve our fingers round onto the screen.
The rear of the case has a ‘weaved’ design effect but at the end of the day you can’t polish a turd and it makes the dull-looking Pixel look even more like a brick. The cutaways which expose the ports and camera aren’t subtle either – the phone case equivalent of being hewn by an axe – and they draw a bit more attention to the Pixel’s unsubtle vents at the bottom.
Nonetheless, this case is more about protection than anything else and it’s thick enough to convince us that it will offer that. It comes in black or clear and costs $45.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Settings in iOS 10: Every notable change you need to know
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTHR Analyst - Remuneration & PerformanceOther
- FTTechnical Architect/DeveloperOther
- FTWorkday TesterVIC
- FTDigital Marketing ExecutiveOther
- TPSales Representative/Account Manager - Global CorporationNSW
- FTPerformance Tester - Load RunnerACT
- FTAccount ManagerACT
- TPProject OfficerQLD
- FTDevOps Engineer | Leading SaaS Product CompanyOther
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics CRM DeveloperOther
- FTFront End DesignerOther
- TPSAP ABAP DeveloperQLD
- FTIT Security Assurance AnalystOther
- FTSenior Change ManagerACT
- FTCommunications Specialist- Change / MarketingOther
- FTIntegration Specialist / DeveloperQLD
- FTProject AnalystOther
- CCSAP FICO ConsultantACT
- FTDeveloper- Xamarin, ASP.Net, Ajax, Java Script, MVC , AndroidOther
- CCTechnical Writer - Based in BrisbaneNSW
- TPSenior ServiceNow ConsultantNSW
- FTService Desk Level 2 Support ConsultantOther
- FTICT Infrastructure / Server EngineerSA
- FTSenior Business ArchitectOther
- TPSenior Project OfficerQLD