- Good bass, heavy sound, flexible design
- Some distortion, uncomfortable for long listening sessions
The TDK ST-PR400 won't be for everybody. Their DJ design means one thing; lots of bass, and as such they aren't suited to all styles of music; however, dance and electronica fans may find what they're looking for here.
Price$ 79.95 (AUD)
DJ headphones are not for everybody. They resemble typical Hi-Fi headphones in many ways; however, their bass heavy sound won't suit all types of music. TDK's ST-PR400 DJ headphones are a prime example of this. They offer fairly good quality audio which is extremely strong towards the low end of the register as well as isolating nicely from external noise.
During our audio tests it quickly became apparent that certain styles of music just aren't suited to these headphones. The bass is extremely prominent and rumbles with quite a lot of power, which isn't great when listening to music like jazz or pop. Electronica, dance and hip hop fans however will likely love the sound style of the ST-PR400.
Due to the strong bass the general sound is extremely rich and warm. Everything is a little slow, meaning notes take a long time to decay. This isn't great for extremely fast-paced music (such as guitar solos) but adds a certain smooth feel to slower passages.
The mid and treble ranges exhibited quite good detail and the soundstage was excellent, with good placement and separation of the individual elements of the song. Treble notes tended to be a little rolled off, but this is quite standard for DJ-style headphones. Our music came across a little gritty at times, which shows a lack of refinement compared to more expensive models.
Overall, the sound quality of the ST-PR400 was fairly good. It won't blow you away, but those after something with a ton of bass and a warm, rich sound will be satisfied with this model. Professional DJs may wish to seek a slightly more expensive pair, but these will do fine for amateurs.
Aside from strong bass one of the other key considerations for DJ headphones is isolation. They are designed primarily to be used while working in loud, crowded environments and thus they must block out external noise where possible. This pair does a reasonable job although you can still hear background noise if it is reasonably loud.
One other thing DJs often do when using their headphones is have one cup on and the other off so they can hear both the music and the crowd. To cater for this, TDK has made the headphone cups on this model completely moveable. They can be rotated on basically any axis, allowing for maximum flexibility. We did find this a little fiddly at times, but it will suit some users. They were comfortable for short bursts, but during longer listening sessions we did find our ears got quite warm.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Harman ANZ relaunches AKG into the consumer market with new range
- Plantronics Expands its Award-Winning BackBeat FIT Family
- Google marries AI, hardware and software with Made By Google
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixelbook, Google Home Mini & Max: Everything Announced At Today’s Google Event
- Bose Upgrade Q35 for Google Assistant
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCDelivery Lead - Process Transformation (Six Sigma) - Telco in Pennant HIllsNSW
- CCIntegration AnalystVIC
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- CCDevelopment Lead - Java - TelcoVIC
- FTMultiple SOC Analyst RolesOther
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- FTTest ManagerACT
- CCMid - Level SAP Test Analyst (Brisbane)NSW
- FTGraduate C# DeveloperNSW
- FTDisaster Recovery Technical Business AnalystOther
- FTSenior Project Controls Officer / CoordinatorOther
- FTMultiple DevOps EngineersNSW
- FTInformation Security AnalystNSW
- FTChange ManagerSA
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTField Services TechnicianACT
- FTHead of Engineering - FrontendNSW
- FTFinancial AdministratorOther
- FTServiceNow Solution SpecialistOther
- FTSystem AnalystQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst ManagerNSW
- FTAxiomSL Technical ConsultantOther
- CCVMware EngineerNSW
- CCCloud Orchestration and Automation SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Project CoordinatorOther