- Outstanding bass, Compact design, Crisp and clear sound, MP3 support, Great Value
- No alarm clock function, Can't be wall mounted
The NX-03 comes recommended as a basic, yet powerful system which supports MP3 playback and provides excellent bass levels thanks to its omni directional subwoofer. At this price, it's excellent value for money.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
The TDK NX-03 is an enhancement of the popular NX-02 system thats adds better sound quality and bass to an already impressive stereo unit.
Unlike the NX-02, the NX-03 isn't an all in one unit. It comprises of four pieces that include the main unit, two speakers and a rather large wooden subwoofer. The NX-03 is definitely a winner in the style department and its extremely thin design means that it could find a home in even the smallest rooms. The unit is finished in a brushed silver aluminum and black plastic, which complements the system well.
The convenience of a stereo system in multiple pieces like this one is the fact that you are able to customize the positioning of each component in your room. For example, you can have the speakers wider apart than usual and the subwoofer lower to the ground in order to experiment and provide the best quality sound. However, there is always a downside and in this case, the NX-03 can't be wall mounted like its smaller counterpart. Still, it is fairly compact and measures only 216mm x 165mm x 78mm so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a spot for it.
The NX-03 utlises the same NXT technology seen in the NX-02. Basically, NXT uses complex vibration modes over the entire panel surface, which allows the speakers to be so thin while still providing quality sound - at least according to TDK. This unit uses a more conventional black metal speaker grille rather than the clear Perspex technology, but we were extremely surprised with the sound quality. For most part, the speakers provided crisp and clear sound with no evident distortion and the volume levels were extremely impressive - quite loud, even at only halfway.
The unit itself uses a flat, clear sliding CD door which you'll have to be careful with - it slides almost directly in line with the speakers when they are set up next to each other, so it is wise to sit the speakers about a centimeter or two behind the main unit. The right side of the front panel houses all of the controls, which are fairly straightforward and easy to use. Above these is perhaps the most annoying feature of the NX-03 - the LCD display screen. It works fine, but when the unit is switched off the display is still backlit, meaning it glows at night and this is quite frustrating if you set it up in your room like we did. Why you can't switch the backlight off and on should you wish is mystifying. Instead we were forced to cover it with whatever we could find.
Where the NX-03 really takes a leap forward is the 15-watt omni directional subwoofer, which is larger than the speakers and unit combined! Powered by a five-inch driver which is designed to produce distortion free, deep bass response, we were extremely pleased to report that the sub does not disappoint. We tested it in a multiple of positions, but found the best place was on the floor, the deep low-end bass vibrating beneath us as we were fully immersed into our music. For the price, the NX-03 is an extremely powerful system and offers great value for money. No, it's not the best sounding unit out there, but it does provide a substantial quality without breaking your budget.
The NX-03 plays CD/CD-RW (with support for MP3 playback) and also includes an AM/FM radio with 20 presets. We did experience some issues with a couple of copied CD's, although this was likely an issue with the burn, rather than this unit itself. The MP3 functionality worked well, and we had no issues whatsoever with any of its functions. We also really liked the ability to connect a PC or other external audio equipment (such as an MP3 player) to the NX-03. We tested this connection by hooking up the system to both our PC and an iPod nano and the sound quality was on par with the standard CD function.
Other features of the NX-03 include a Sleep Timer, four pre-selectable equaliser settings (Flat, Rock, Pop or Classic), a slimline remote control, Electronic Shock Protection (ESP) and a detachable FM Antenna which allows connection to an external antenna. Annoyingly, TDK have once again neglected to include an alarm clock, which is disappointing considering the NX-03 is ideal for placing in a bedroom.
Join the newsletter!
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- TPService Delivery ManagerACT
- FTJava Developer (API Development)Other
- FTSenior Test AnalystACT
- FTBDM/Account Manager - TechnologyACT
- CCCyber AnalystVIC
- CCServiceNow ConsultantVIC
- TPBusiness Continuity Senior Associate/ IT AuditNSW
- CCWholesale Trading Solutions ArchitectNSW
- TPBusiness Process Improvement AnalystNSW
- FTSystem AnalystSA
- TPTechnical WriterQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Sales Executive ? Technology ConsultingQLD
- CCProject AnalystNSW
- FTIT Graduate / Junior Project AdministratorOther
- FTServiceNow Solution SpecialistOther
- FTField Service EngineerOther
- FTSolution Architect - API / SaaSOther
- TPInstructional DesignerNSW
- FTJunior Front End DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Internet Services Engineer - DevOpsNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Merchant acquiringNSW
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperQLD