- Looks good, portable, wall mountable, backlit display
- No MP3 support, lacks bass, no alarm function
If you are looking for a basic mini Hi-Fi system for your bedroom, the NX-02CD is perfect--and its clear NXT speakers just happen to look fantastic.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Flanked by its clear Perspex speakers, the TDK Slimline NX-02CD Sound System is a futuristic-looking mini hi-fi system that resembles no other device on the market. The clear plastic screens on each end of the device are, in fact, polycarbonate speakers that vibrate to produce sound. The speakers are based on technology from NXT. While it's tempting to touch the speakers (and just about everyone does), they scratch, smudge and mark easily and are very hard to keep clean.
With its rounded, silver edges, front-loading CD drive, subwoofer and transparent speakers, the NX-02CD looks unconventional, but is most definitely eye-catching. In a further design twist, the CD drive opens upward and the CD loads flat into the device, face forward. As the CD drive cover is also clear, you can watch the disk spin as it plays. Furthermore, you can remove the base and mount the device to a wall, which is great for those with limited space.
The centre of the NX-02CD contains all the unit's controls, the CD drive and a small subwoofer at the bottom. The small backlit screen at the top of the panel displays the time or the current media (CD, radio or auxiliary input) you are listening to, and a handy feature is the ability to light up the display even when the device is off, which makes it particularly useful as a bedroom clock. A single headphone jack is located on the front of the device, and the sound through a set of headphones is clear.
The sound quality of the unit is average and it does lack a bit of bass, even when adjusted to its highest setting. The unit offers four equaliser sound presets--rock, pop, flat and classical--and it's well worth trying these presets. We found no distortion or crackling evident when the unit was at its highest volume setting.
The NX-02CD plays CD, CD-R and CD-RW audio discs, but does not support MP3 playback. We tested a range of CD media and most worked well, although a couple of CD-Rs that played fine in other devices skipped in this unit. As well as CD playback, the NX-02CD features an AM/FM digital radio with 20 presets for each band.
At the rear of the device you will find in and out auxiliary jacks for connecting other audio equipment to the NX-02CD. We connected an MP3 player to the device to play music through the system, and the sound quality was just as good as a normal CD.
The NX-02CD also features a sleep function that turns off the device after a certain period of time--15, 30, 45 or 60 minutes. The lack of an alarm function is a big let down, considering that this is clearly a device you could keep in your bedroom.
A small remote control is included in the package and some functions (like the sleep settings) can only be accessed from the remote.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTManager, DevOpsQLD
- CCAppian Developer x 2VIC
- TPPrincipal Data Analyst | ArcGIS | Power BI | QlikQLD
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- FTProcurement OfficerACT
- FTOperations Manager - NV1 Cleared - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- CCBusiness Process AnalystNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- FTService Desk Analyst Level 1 SupportQLD
- CCMid-level Business Process Analyst (Automation) - Contract - ParramattaNSW
- FTIT Field Services ManagerNSW
- FTLearning & Development Consultant, Wealth ManagementNSW
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- FTDeployment Analyst / Customer Service - Minchinbury NSWNSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior PHP Developer / Technical LeadQLD
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- TPInstructional DesignerVIC
- CCBusiness Change ManagerNSW
- FTLead Drupal DeveloperQLD
- FTQlikview Developer | Contract 6-12mthVIC
- CCSenior Systems EngineerQLD
- TPBI DeveloperNSW