Synology DiskStation DS112 NAS device (user review three)
Our third and final Synology DS112 user review shows how this NAS device can be used in schools
- Good solution for transferring work to and from iPads
- None evident
For a school environment like ours, the Synology DS112 NAS device is perfect as it allows us to supply the kids with an easy and secure solution for getting data on and off their iPads.
Price$ 219.00 (AUD)
In this review, we examine how the Synology DS112 network attached storage (NAS) device can be used within a school environment to provide an easy-to-use file structure on iPads.
At our school, we adpoted a 1:1 iPad program for our year four students. However, we soon found ourselves looking for a solution to the lack of a file structure on those iPads.
Moving photos around was a big problem, work was being emailed out to students and returned by email for assessment. Everything seemed to require a two- or three-stage process.
We needed a simpler solution to the storage and transfer of work to and from iPads — we needed a file structure. We trialled a few options like Dropbox and the like, but it wasn’t until we tried the Synology DS112 unit that we found an answer to almost all of our problems.
Many apps have a WebDAV option that allows students to save work directly to our unit, where we can assess it, and photos go straight to or from the camera roll. The unit also allows us to control who has access to each folder.
The simplicity of the structure means that the year four students can use the unit within minutes of the free apps being installed. Seeing a file structure on an iPad for the first time is a bit odd, but you’ll soon be using for just about everything.
The screenshots below show how the students are using the DS112 to store and access data through their iPads.
Note: we recently conducted a Synology competition in which users had to tell us how winning a Synology NAS device would increase their office productivity. The winners of these NAS devices (including the author of this user review) kindly agreed to review these devices to further illustrate how they will be using them for their day-to-day work.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
- ASUSTOR Announces Official Launch of ADM 3.0
- Seagate Launces DJI Fly Drive in Australia and New Zealand for Drone Users
- New development for Western Digital
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCApplications Deployment/SupportNSW
- FTIT Security Technical Business AnalystOther
- CCMobile Applications DeveloperACT
- FTClient Delivery DirectorACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- TPPenetration TesterQLD
- CCMultiple Xamarin DevelopersVIC
- FTService Desk AnalystVIC
- CCTest Specialist - eCommerceVIC
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- FTTechnical Digital Producer | 6 Month ContractOther
- CCMS Dynamics Technical Consultant - 6 month contract Initially - SydneyNSW
- FTLevel 3 Application Support EngineerQLD
- TPSolution Architect - AzureNSW
- FTChange ManagerOther
- CCUX DesignerVIC
- FTData ModellerOther
- FT2 x Python Developers - FinTech/TradingOther
- FTSharepoint ConsultantOther
- CCTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- FTPolicy OfficerOther
- FTSignalling EngineerOther
- FTNetwork Support Engineer x2Other
- FTDelivery ManagerVIC