Symantec Norton Internet Security 2005 AntiSpyware Edition
Price$ 149.95 (AUD)
Symantec's latest security suite now includes a new anti-spyware element. Having tried this while it was in its beta form, we weren't hugely impressed, finding that it failed to block many common spyware applications (like Hotbar, Xupiter, and Total Velocity). It also tended to recommend full Internet access when the firewall picked up various outgoing DNS requests, which was also cause for concern.
Fortunately, we can report that most - though not all - of these early issues have been resolved, and a concerted attempt to corrupt our test system was largely unsuccessful. That said, it still automatically gives products like MSN Messenger full access without asking permission, and user-installed software like the MyWebSearch toolbar is still ignored - though whether MyWebSearch qualifies as spyware is a margin call.
As always, Norton Internet Security's front end is very logical and easy to use, and it's still one of the most comprehensive security suites, but one of the difficulties facing any anti-spyware/antivirus tool is striking a balance between security and transparency. One of this suite's strengths is that most of it requires no manual configuration; another is its ability to thoroughly remove spyware once it has been detected.
With this much-improved late addition, Norton NIS 2005 AntiSpyware Edition has regained its position as one of the leading security suites. However, more advanced users may prefer security tools that ask more questions. It's worth pointing out that free anti-spyware solutions are also available.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPEL1 Data AnalystACT
- FTSystems Accountant / Production SupportOther
- CCPega Systems ArchitectACT
- CCSIAM KPI Reporting Business AnalystNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCProject Manager - Security/Cyber SecurityACT
- CCProgram Coordinator - TelcoVIC
- FTSitecore - Full Stack .Net DeveloperQLD
- TPAutomation TesterACT
- FTScrum Master, 726793Other
- CCProcurement SpecialistQLD
- CCKnowledge Analyst (Digital Content)NSW
- FTData EngineerOther
- FTTechnical Digital ProducerOther
- CCShort term - Junior PMACT
- CCCisco EngineerWA
- CCInfrastructure Architect - IT ArchitectVIC
- FTFull-Stack DeveloperSA
- FTTest LeadNSW
- CCIOS DeveloperNSW
- FTOffice Manager / PAOther
- CCTechnical WriterQLD
- FTDigital Developer - Back endVIC
- CCAutomation TesterVIC
- FTJava DeveloperWA