Symantec Norton Internet Security 2005 AntiSpyware Edition
Price$ 149.95 (AUD)
Symantec's latest security suite now includes a new anti-spyware element. Having tried this while it was in its beta form, we weren't hugely impressed, finding that it failed to block many common spyware applications (like Hotbar, Xupiter, and Total Velocity). It also tended to recommend full Internet access when the firewall picked up various outgoing DNS requests, which was also cause for concern.
Fortunately, we can report that most - though not all - of these early issues have been resolved, and a concerted attempt to corrupt our test system was largely unsuccessful. That said, it still automatically gives products like MSN Messenger full access without asking permission, and user-installed software like the MyWebSearch toolbar is still ignored - though whether MyWebSearch qualifies as spyware is a margin call.
As always, Norton Internet Security's front end is very logical and easy to use, and it's still one of the most comprehensive security suites, but one of the difficulties facing any anti-spyware/antivirus tool is striking a balance between security and transparency. One of this suite's strengths is that most of it requires no manual configuration; another is its ability to thoroughly remove spyware once it has been detected.
With this much-improved late addition, Norton NIS 2005 AntiSpyware Edition has regained its position as one of the leading security suites. However, more advanced users may prefer security tools that ask more questions. It's worth pointing out that free anti-spyware solutions are also available.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
- Dragon Gets NDIS Approval
- NAB go in on Google Assistant integration with new app
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- iPhone 8
- Canon 6D MK II: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCiMIS SpecialistNSW
- CCProject DirectorQLD
- CCJava Developer- API &Micro servicesNSW
- FTBusiness Process AnalystOther
- FT3rd Line IT EngineerOther
- CCSenior Test Data Management ConsultantVIC
- CCFull-Stack DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Software DeveloperSA
- FTService Delivery ManagerOther
- FTLean Agile CoachOther
- CCContent WriterNSW
- CCProject Manager x 2QLD
- FTSenior Software EngineerNSW
- FTSoftware DeveloperOther
- CCSecurity AdministratorQLD
- CCNetwork Engineer - Cleveland BasedQLD
- TPBusiness Improvement ManagerNSW
- FTCoach, Lean Startup & Design Thinking approachOther
- FTSenior Project Manager- Infrastructure & ApplicationsOther
- CCPricing AdministratorVIC
- FTDevOps Engineer | Leading SaaS Product CompanyOther
- CCWindows 10 Deployment Team LeadVIC
- FTBuild Support OfficerOther
- CCCRM Support DeveloperWA
- FTJunior IT Admin CoordinatorACT