Symantec Norton Internet Security 2005
This latest version of NIS sees it firmly stay amongst the leading pack in all-in-one security packages.
Price$ 149.95 (AUD)
As broadband uptake increases, so does the number of activities we use the Internet for. Instant messengers (IM), chat rooms, peer-to-peer networking, e-mail and Web browsing all come with varying degrees of annoyances, and risks to security and privacy.
That's why all-in-one internet protection packages, like Symantec's Norton Internet Security (NIS) suite are so popular.
The 2005 edition of NIS includes new versions of Norton AntiVirus and Norton Personal Firewall (each $99.95 separately), Norton AntiSpam ($79.95 separately), Norton Privacy Control and Norton Parental Control.
Installation took about five minutes (including pre-scan) and components are well integrated, with similar redesigned, easy-to-use interfaces. The simplified LiveUpdate automatically downloads updates (virus/worm definitions) for 12 months (renewable). Upon update receipt, NIS 2005 "QuickScans" for and removes active infections. The new Outbreak Alert utility also runs in the background to inform you of online threats and how to protect against them, and to remind you if you've accidentally turned off protection.
AntiVirus 2005's enhanced protection against viruses, worms and Trojans can remove them automatically, even scanning IM and e-mail attachments - although we would have liked even more focus on adware and spyware. Another new feature - Internet Worm Protection - supplements dedicated e-mail and firewall security by scanning inbound ports and targeting worms like Blaster and Code Red. Although the pop-up questions and establishing of rules won't be for everyone, this feature is welcomed.
Personal Firewall and Personal Privacy Control 2005 now work together to manage a list of trusted sites you can create (like banking sites or eBay) that you send private information to without constantly alerting you - convenient and useful to fight "phishing" (hoax site) scams. Personal Firewall uses customisable predefined rules for maximum inbound and outbound protection and can block banner and pop-up ads. AntiSpam 2005 now supports Yahoo! Web-mail and has easier "Allowed List" updating. Also updated are ad-blocking and spam/inappropriate e-mail filtering (Outlook, Outlook Express and Eudora).
In a similar vein, Norton Parental Controls includes tools for parents to block access to newsgroups and Web sites not suitable for children. We tested NIS 2005 on a Windows XP installation with the final release of Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed, and had no compatibility problems. SP2's Windows Security Center was aware of the Norton products, but couldn't determine their status due to Symantec's tamper-protection technology. While SP2 includes an improved firewall, it's strictly only for incoming protection and doesn't monitor the activity of programs already on your hard disk.
In all, although SP2 improves Windows' security, third-party programs and integrated suites such as NIS 2005 look set to be in demand for quite some time yet.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
- Google Assistant branches out, supporting third-party hardware and smarter features
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSAP HANA ConsultantNSW
- FTPrincipal Project ManagerVIC
- FTAccount Manager - Technology SolutionsNSW
- TPTransformation Lead | Change and Process ImprovementQLD
- FTSolution Architect - Datacentre / StorageVIC
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTProject Control Analyst - PMONSW
- FTPMO Quality OfficerNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANEVIC
- CCSenior Data AnalystVIC
- FTSupport Engineer Level 3QLD
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTTest EngineerVIC
- FTDigital ProducerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- CCTransport EngineerVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - SalesforceVIC
- FTGraduate Technical ConsultantACT
- TPSenior Developer Azure Power BINSW
- FTTelecommunications Provisioning LeadQLD
- CCGIS Consultant/ Developer - BRISBANENSW