Symantec Norton Ghost 14.0
- Well-designed utility, very little drain on your system
- Using an external USB 2.0 drive may cause some problems
Norton Ghost 14.0 is a mature product for the thankless task of safeguarding data against the unthinkable event of hard disk failure, theft or virus havoc. Being able to return to restore points additionally assists recovery from accidental deletion and loss of files. Its interface is good, although with the number and breadth of features available, you'll need to spend some time getting to know everything it can do to get the best from Ghost.
Price$ 99.99 (AUD)
Backing up data – whether a selection of important files or an entire hard drive – remains an important chore in order to safeguard irreplaceable information.
With a well-designed utility the process should be less of a burden, for example by automatically backing up in the background with little drain on system resources. This is just one of the benefits of the latest version of Norton Ghost, a complete solution for the task of preserving your data against loss.
Norton Ghost 14.0's core use is to make full system backups, for example to a disk image which can be used to restore an entire PC; or incremental backups, to update only those files that have changed.
New features added since the previous Ghost 12.0 (Norton is obviously not tempting fate by releasing Norton Ghost 13.0... ) include FTP backup, Google Desktop integration and Symantec ThreatCon integration, the latter designed to have additional automatic backups triggered by a cue from Symantec's malware intelligence-gathering resource.
We used an external USB drive and Norton Ghost 14.0 to back up the contents of a Hi-Grade notebook running Windows Vista Ultimate, and found the software worked mostly as advertised.
Norton Ghost 14.0 could make a complete backup of the drive, as well as perform incremental backups either by schedule or on demand. Using an external USB 2.0 drive did present a problem, as Norton Ghost 14.0 would not always allow the drive to be safely ejected, even when the program was closed.
Also, on occasion when the USB drive was connected with Norton Ghost 14.0 running, it would ask if it could be used as new backup destination, even though it was already configured as the primary backup drive.
Another Norton Ghost 14.0 feature we tested was LightsOut Restore, which creates an extra bootable system on the PC's C drive.
After setting up, an option is added during booting and after the BIOS screen, to allow you to boot from the Symantec Disk Recovery (SDR) installation and thereafter restore the entire disk from a recent backup.
In our tests, Norton Ghost 14.0 did not show the connected USB drive containing the backups, which rather defeated the object of this feature.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Apple iPhone X
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Toys for Boys
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Xbox One X
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCProject Director - Gold CoastQLD
- CCDBA / Database Services SME - Large Telco - Sydney CBDNSW
- TPTest AnalystSA
- FTSenior Software EngineerOther
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- FTC++ Analyst ProgrammerOther
- FTWeb Developer / ProducerOther
- TPProcurement ManagerACT
- CCSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTChange AnalystOther
- FTManagement Consultant, Strategy, New Products, TransformationsOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- TPJava DeveloperWA
- TPProject ManagerACT
- FTHadoop DevelopersOther
- FTSenior Change ManagerVIC
- FTCyber Security- ManagerSA
- FTUX Designer | Mobile ApplicationsOther
- FTSalesforce Platform LeadOther
- FTSenior PHP Developer / Team LeadNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Operational experience requiredOther
- FTJunior Account Manager - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- TPSenior Network EngineerVIC
- CCIntegration SpecialistQLD