Symantec Norton Antivirus 2011
Symantec Norton Antivirus 2011 review: The latest version of Norton Antivirus offers strong malware detection
- Good interface, strong malware detection
- Scan speeds lag behind top performers
Norton Antivirus 2011 is a great choice thanks to its strong malware detection and smooth interface
Price$ 59.99 (AUD)
Norton Antivirus has been a strong performer in recent years, and this year is no exception. Norton Antivirus 2011 does a very good job at detecting and removing malware, and it has a smooth interface.
Installing Norton Antivirus 2011 is a breeze: The well-designed installer requires you to click through only two screens before it begins installing. Norton's products also check to see if you have any incompatible security utilities installed beforehand, so you don't end up with a problem later--a thoughtful touch.
Norton Antivirus has an attractive, polished interface: The main screen shows on-off toggles for its various protection features, as well as a map showing the global cybercrime activity over the last 24 hours. I found the map to be a little gimmicky, and the on/off toggles may be a little confusing at first glance to less-experienced users (though tooltips appear as you mouse over the setting names). One nice interface touch: When your PC is at risk for whatever reason, Norton will put up a "Your Computer is at risk" warning in red text, with a large "Fix Now" button next to it.
In malware detection and removal, Norton Antivirus put out strong all-around scores. It detected 98.7 percent of malware samples in traditional scanner-based detection tests (these tests rely heavily on signature-based malware detection). This is a very good score, but it trails the $50 Panda Antivirus Pro 2011, which detected 99.8 percent of samples.
Norton also put up strong scores in the blocking of real-world malware attacks (a measure of how well a product can block actual malware): Norton completely blocked 24 of the 25 samples thrown at it, but it did miss one sample completely. No paid antivirus application we looked at fully blocked all samples, and only one scored higher than Norton on this test (Comodo Antivirus Advanced completely blocked 24 attacks and partially blocked one attack).
Norton detected all active malware infections in our tests; it removed the active components of an infection 80 percent of the time, and was able to completely remove the infections 60 percent of the time--both above-average scores.
If there's one area where Norton Antivirus could improve, it's speed. Norton put up good scores in our speed testing, but not top-notch results. It completed an on-access scan of 4.5GB of files in 4 minutes, 32 seconds. This is better than the average of 4 minutes, 59 seconds, but behind the top-performing product, which completed the test in 3 minutes, 35 seconds. Its on-demand scan speed of 2 minutes, 1 second is also above average, but again, it's below the top-performers in this test.
All things considered, Norton Antivirus 2011 is a great all-around package, and is worth considering if you're in the market for new antivirus software.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- Digital signature service DocuSign hacked and email addresses stolen
- The WannaCry ransomware might have a link to North Korea
- Paying the WannaCry ransom will probably get you nothing. Here's why.
- WannaCry attacks are only the beginning
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTPHP DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- CCSolution Designer with PEGA experience- TelcoVIC
- FTLead Drupal DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Systems EngineerVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- CCPeopleSoft DeveloperVIC
- FTBusiness Improvement ManagerNSW
- FTDatabase Engineer (Oracle)ACT
- CCBusiness Process AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Sitecore Developer (.NET)QLD
- CCReporting System Specialist - Port MacquarieQLD
- FTSalesforce ConsultantQLD
- FTDIRECTOR PROJECT DELIVERY, WELLINGTONNZ
- TPTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Data AnalystVIC
- FTIntegration SpecialistQLD
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksVIC
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- CCSalesforce ArchitectVIC
- FTSQL BI Report DeveloperQLD
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC