Swann Communications DVR4 Business Surveillance Kit
- USB and composite connections, motion detection, long cables, full featured
- No remote monitoring, only two cameras included in package
A great all around security combination, the Swann DVR4 Business Surveillance Kit offers two cameras, the option to record to your PC or the included hard drive and a variety of features such as motion detection and an alarm making it ideal for home or small business use.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
For any kind of property owner, be it your own home or your place of business, theft is always a concern. A few years ago you'd need a hefty amount of money to install a complex CCTV monitoring system if you wanted some extra security, but these days thanks to companies like Swann, you can have extremely effective protection for a perfectly affordable cost.
The DVR4 Business package fits this mould perfectly. It comes complete with two cameras and a hard disk to record on, as well as a bucket load of features and options to tailor the system to your needs. It is ideal for small businesses or home owners just looking for a little extra peace of mind.
As stated, this system contains two cameras in the box, which will be adequate for monitoring a few key areas. However, it has the capacity to support a total of four, so more can be added if you so desire. Setup is a little tricky, with a multitude of cords and adapters required to get everything running, but once everything is plugged in to the main control box you're good to go.
From here you have a number of options. Either you can hook the system up via the component cable to a TV or equivalent monitoring device, or you can plug it in via USB and run it through a PC. This flexibility is great as it means the DVR4 will fit a variety of different existing setups. We would have liked to see remote monitoring via the PC connection, but the package is still extremely useful without.
When running via composite, the unit records directly to the included 160GB hard disk, while via USB you can write files to your PC's drive. PC connection also offers a few more options, letting you do things such as saving an individual frame and such. Video footage is typically displayed at 720x576 and recorded at 640x272 meaning it is clear enough to make out details such as facial features. At the normal quality setting you'll get approximately 332 hours of recording on the included drive, although turning it up to high quality will decrease this somewhat.
You can manipulate the footage a little depending on what you want to watch. All four cameras can be viewed at once in a square formation and you can open any one in full screen individually if you choose. You can even set it to scroll through each camera on a certain delay. All of this is controlled through the included remote although there are also controls on the face of the main unit.
In addition to this you can get a little more in-depth, setting only certain cameras to record. There is also motion detection which will only activate recording when it senses movement. This helps save hard disk space and is great for monitoring properties at night. You can set the motion sensitivity and the length of time recorded after being triggered. There is even an alarm that can alert you when movement is detected.
The cameras themselves are small and come with massive spools of cable which should be adequate for most properties. They can be bolted to the wall and angled any way you choose.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft's Story Remix uses machine learning and mixed reality to make your movies awesome
- New IoT malware targets 100,000 IP cameras via known flaw
- Facebook launches tool for capturing 360 video inside VR
- Sony's PlayStation 4 Pro finally adds 4K video support for local files
- HBO brought its best shows to life at SXSW with an awesome escape room
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Moto G5 smartphone: full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- TPMS Access/SQL DBAQLD
- CCApplication PackagerSA
- CCGIS DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCMDM DesignerVIC
- FTBusiness Process ConsultantNSW
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerNSW
- FTApplication Support SpecialistQLD
- TPInstructional DesignerVIC
- CCSystems Analyst- Port MacquarieQLD
- FTSenior PHP Developer - SymfonyQLD
- FTx3 Field EngineersVIC
- CCSupport Contract Officer - NV2ACT
- FTSecurity ConsultantACT
- FTGraduate Technical ConsultantACT
- FTDashboard Developer | up to $92 p/hrVIC
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksWA
- FTICT Transformation Integration ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - Digital Application CX TransformationNSW
- FTSenior Solution Designer, Investment and Trading PlatformNSW
- FTApplication Support EngineerNSW
- CCIteration Manager/Scrum MasterQLD
- FTProgram SchedulerVIC
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW