- Original content
- Nothing of note
Searching is still king, but stumbling is really gaining a footing.
Like most people, you probably turn to Google to satisfy your online searching needs. But its very effectiveness in turning up thousands of results, which you have to trawl through manually, can soon take the fun out of your quest for knowledge.
Enter, StumbleUpon - a free program that can put the serendipity back into online searches!
StumbleUpon sits on your toolbar, with a massive range of features to allow for "social surfing". But primarily it selects at random, Web sites that are relevant to you, recommended by other Net surfers.
To get started, download Stumble upon, register a user profile, and select your interests from nearly 500 topics, and then you are ready to start stumbling. Hit the "Stumble!" button and you're on your way.
The first thing you notice is that the quality of the Web recommendations is good, because the sites are drawn from a database of 337 million stumbles, where users are actively participating. Your results become more refined as you "stumble along" and rate the sites you visit by selecting the "thumbs up", or a "thumbs down" icon. This allows the StumbleUpon database to record your preferences and associate you with other like-minded users.
Other features in StumbleUpon assist in building a social network as you surf, allowing you to comment about any Web site and discuss related issues. You can also e-mail other users from within the application, while preserving your anonymity. You get access to enhanced features if you wish to pay a subscription of $US20 per year. The most notable is the ability to integrate your Stumbler ratings into your Google search.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 2 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 4 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 5 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
Latest News Articles
- Goodbye Google Now, hello new feed that obsessively track your interests
- How to deal with “Windows 10 is no longer supported on this PC” error
- Net Neutrality: The July 12 Internet-Wide Day of Action protest and what to expect
- Google Assistant: 5 killer new features you should be using
- Microsoft apologizes after a rogue Windows 10 preview build causes chaos
PCW Evaluation Team
- Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- GAMOSPHERE: Your August Roundup of Gaming News
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTJava Front End DeveloperOther
- FTMicrosoft CRM DevelopersACT
- TPRe-released - ICT Procurement Planner and Contract SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior Wintel Server EngineerOther
- CCTest EngineerACT
- FTService Desk analystOther
- FTCustomer Solutions RepresentativeOther
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTSystems Engineer & Architect - SCOMOther
- TPSenior Change ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Customer Experience ( CX ) AnalystOther
- CCIT Change CoordinatorNSW
- FTDesktop Support OfficerSA
- TPTest LeadQLD
- TPNetwork Design & Implementation EngineerQLD
- CCEnterprise Change ManagerVIC
- FTService Desk Consultant/Customer Service SpecialistOther
- CCSuccess Factors Report WriterQLD
- CCApplications Support/ DevOps EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Consultant TechnicalNSW
- CCProject Manager - Network Engineering & TelcoVIC
- FTUser Acceptance Test LeadACT
- FTInfrastructure Business AnalystACT
- FTSourcing Project ManagerOther