Sometimes an excellent operating system can be made even better
A 3-D authoring environment.
- Full-featured modelling workflow, roundtrip editing, advanced rendering and HDRI support, 3-D export to Web and PDF in Live 3D, strong Photoshop integration
- Quite expensive, some controls could be streamlined, modelling tools slightly basic
3D[in] is an expensive 3-D authoring environment that slots neatly into Photoshop Extended CS3’s 3-D features.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
Note: pricing for this product is in US$.
Strata’s 3D[in] plug-ins, Design 3D[in], Foto 3D[in] and Live 3D[in], slot neatly into Photoshop Extended CS3’s 3-D features. We’ll concentrate here on Design 3D[in], which offers a well-featured 3-D authoring environment with transformation and modelling functions, including tools for creating primitive objects.
You can also create a new 3-D object from a selected 2D image within Photoshop, then use Lathe and Extrude tools to build it.
Model[in] Edit can be used to change or finetune the 3-D object, while Match[in] is used to correctly place and scale the 3-D object in a 2-D document, in a procedure that resembles Photoshop’s Vanishing Point process. The final stage, Render[in], generates photo-real images of the object for integration into a Photoshop project. Any of the resulting rendered layers are fully editable.
Design[in]’s subtools offer impressive roundtrip capability: you can send a 3-D model from Photoshop to Design 3D[in], add textures and send the model back. You can continue the texture editing/modelling process, or close and render it. An ‘Un-Plug’ button flips you out of the plug-in.
This integration sets Strata’s tools above the rest of the applications on test, with only Daz 3D Bridge coming close. However, in comparison that plug-in’s 3-D modelling is limited.
The other Strata plug-ins also work well with Photoshop. Foto 3D[in] builds 3D models from a series of related 2D images, piecing together the images and producing a texture map of the entire surface, as well as generating an underlying 3D mesh. Live 3D[in] is a finishing tool, used for converting Photoshop files with 3D layers into Web pages and PDF documents with interactive content.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 2 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- WWDC 2018: Apple gives us a first look at an all-new Mac App Store
- Apple combats iPhone throttling backlash with new iOS 12 features
- Budget 2018: Government seeks to boost Australian AI capabilities
- JBL take smart speakers back to the living room Link 300
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
PCW Evaluation Team
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
- Computex 2018: Everything you missed at Asia's biggest tech tradeshow
- Computex 2018: Nvidia launches new AI-focused hardware and software platforms
- Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies