Square Enix Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
- Great story, RTS-lite elements work well, cut scene and background graphics are excellent
- Super blocky sprites can be either endearing or jarring, small size of DS screens still a minor issue
It's an interesting addition to the Final Fantasy franchise and proof that Square Enix can deliver a good title that doesn't fall back on RPG conventions.
The idea of a Final Fantasy title that strays from its traditional RPG roots will no doubt conjure up flashbacks to less than stellar experiments like Dirge of Cerberus and Heroes of Mana.
But shockingly, Revenant Wings, which trades in the RPG formula for a real-time strategy bent, manages to buck past trends and delivers a gaming experience that is actually worthy of the Final Fantasy name.
A pirate's life for me
Picking up where Final Fantasy XII ends, Revenant Wings centres on the sky pirates Vaan, Penelo, Kytes and their crew as they fight on the floating continent of Lemures where winged beings known as aegyl roam.
The aegyl aren't the only things populating Lemures, though, as monsters and marauding sky pirates have invaded the continent. Luckily, Vaan has come to possess a stone that allows the summoning of esper groups, also known as "yarhi," which is where the RTS portion of the game kicks in.
Rush the spot
The RTS genre isn't very popular in Japan, a fact that must have affected Revenant Wings' design. The strategy portion of the game has been boiled down to a "rock, paper, scissors" mechanic in which each unit has a corresponding unit that it is weaker or stronger against. Elemental types help add a layer of strategy, but for the most part, if you throw enough units at a target, you'll likely clear the mission.
Thankfully, the AI is nowhere near as idiotic as it was in Heroes of Mana, making battles actually fun, instead of an exercise in micromanaging frustration. Your units go where you want them to go, and do what you want them to do. The size of the DS screens remains an issue, but it's not as bad as it was in Heroes: the only problem arises when you have multiple units clumped together, making it difficult to pinpoint which specific units.
Let's call it "Restructuring"
Still, we give Revenant Wings high marks for its well-paced story, its shallow yet fun RTS-lite gameplay and the RPG elements such as magic casting and weapon crafting.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Nintendo Switch software update: What does 4.0.0 feature and how to install it?
- Robot House announce vacuum-bot adventure game ahead of PAX Australia
- Wargaming launches ANZ servers for World of Tanks
- VR fairytale game Luna due for Oct 17 release
- Event schedule announced for PAX Aus 2017
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- Moto X4 review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCTest Analyst - Intermediate LevelNSW
- CCHelpdesk AnalsytNSW
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Digital MortgagesNSW
- TPDeployment Analyst - Office 2016 rolloutVIC
- TPLead Data Business AnalystQLD
- TPIT Security EngineerQLD
- FTWindows DevOps EngineerQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst - Application Lifecycle Management (Logistics)Other
- TP.Net Web DeveloperSA
- FTOffice 365 Technical SpecialistOther
- CCTraining and Support LeadACT
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTiMIS EngineerOther
- CCSet-Top Box InstallerQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - AMLOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTDigital Producer | High Profile Website | 6 Month ContractOther
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Security Consultant - WirelessNSW
- FTSenior Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CCBusiness/System Analyst- (Human Capital Management (HCM) )NSW
- FTDigital Reporting AnalystOther
- FTChange ManagerOther
- FTPersonal AssistantSA