Square Enix Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
- An amazing remake of an already amazing game
- In-game graphics won't blow your mind, minor slowdown still persists
Whether you've played the heck out of Tactics, or are just being introduced to the game, the PSP edition delivers hours of portable strategy and experimentation. A decade after the original's release, Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions is a faithful improvement on what is still one of the best tactical RPGs around.
Price$ 79.95 (AUD)
Yes, the name is familiar but don't confuse Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions as just a part of the old Playstation game. With a brand new translation, smoothed out graphics, beautiful animated cut-scenes, an expanded job system, and versus and co-op multiplayer modes, this is a remake that is definitely worth the full retail price.
The story in War of the Lions remains the same as in the original game, but the key difference is that you can actually understand what is going on this time around. A war breaks out between the Black Lion, Duke Goltanna, and the White Lion, Duke Larg, over succession rights to the throne and the player is thrust in the mix as Ramza, a young cadet of the Royal Military Akademy (and no, that's not a misspelling on our part -- as good as the translation is, it has its weird quirks).
Updating your wardrobe
Right away you'll be struck by how great the CG scenes look. The style is reminiscent of coloured pencil sketches and it's tremendously pleasing visually, which is no surprise considering Square Enix's track record of quality cutscene work. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the in-game graphics; they're decent enough, but we noticed some slowdown during game play. However, it is an improvement over the original game where even entering the equipment menu would result in a noticeable hitch.
Character progression in Tactics is still focused on the job classes, and the remake has two new ones to shoot for: Onion Knight and Dark Knight. The curiously named Onion Knight survives on the most basic attack moves, but he's built to last with tons of hit points and defence plus special armour, making him an ideal tank for your army. Meanwhile, the Dark Knight relies on an arsenal of twisted sword moves, including a strike that will steal away enemy hit points.
If the updated classic itself isn't quite enticing enough, the new multiplayer modes should seal the deal. Not only is it cool to battle your friends in Melee mode, with special additions like timed knockback moves and trap laying, but it can be used as an alternative to grinding random battles to level your characters. Same thing with the co-op Rendezvous missions -- you will never lose anything (even inventory items you use), but get to keep the items and job points/levels earned.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Xbox One X
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Acer attempts to woo Australian gamers with reveal of its new Predator range
- Nintendo Switch software update: What does 4.0.0 feature and how to install it?
- Robot House announce vacuum-bot adventure game ahead of PAX Australia
- Wargaming launches ANZ servers for World of Tanks
- VR fairytale game Luna due for Oct 17 release
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- TPBusiness Continuity Senior Associate/ IT AuditNSW
- FTSenior Technology Specialist (Networks)Other
- FTService Desk Consultant - Part TimeOther
- FTPrinciple Project Manager- HRISOther
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTSAP PSCD Analyst and PSCD FunctionalistOther
- FTCobol DeveloperOther
- FTField ConsultantOther
- TPPrincipal Project Manager|HRIS ProgramQLD
- FTSenior Field Services Telecommunication RiggerACT
- FTIT Security Support OfficersOther
- CCSharePoint Developer / AdministratorNSW
- FTSecurity Leads - $800 per dayOther
- FTSolution Manager - SAPOther
- CCUser Experience DesignersACT
- FTSenior Systems Engineer (WINTEL)ACT
- FTSystem Specialist - Operational Technology SystemsOther
- FTPayments Solution DesignerNSW
- FTManagement Consultant - ConsultancyOther
- FTAccount Management/Customer Service - MULTIPLE ROLESSA
- CCITSM Project ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Lead / Senior Systems EngineerOther
- FTDigital BA / Product Owner / 3 Month ContractOther