Square Enix Chrono Trigger
One of the best releases of 2008.
- An amazing update to one of the best console RPG games ever produced
- The only bad thing is that the game eventually ends
Square Enix knocks one out of the park with this superb re-release of the one of the most influential games in role playing history!
Normally, when I hear that a classic game is being ported to a handheld, I become skeptical because the usual result is a no-frills port meant to cash in on gamers' nostalgia. But thankfully, Square Enix isn't that kind of company. They put a lot of care into their ports and I'm incredibly happy to report that they truly went the extra mile with Chrono Trigger DS. They've kept the magic of the original intact while adding subtle improvements and innovative features that truly enhance the classic experience. It is without a doubt one of the best releases of 2008.
A Timeless Classic
Chrono Trigger's time-bending narrative is really well served by the DS' hardware. The touch screen is put to excellent use, with things like an overhead map and inventory access laid out in an intuitive manner-everything you need to keep your party in shape is right there at your stylus tip. You can literally swap out party members, equip them with the latest gear, save your game, and never have to hit the pause button.
When you engage in combat, the touch screen displays an in-depth battle menu, allowing you to select techniques, items, magics and target specific enemies with the stylus in real time. This makes the battles flow like clockwork, with quick, responsive menus that you can navigate with ease. But the best part is that there is a Classic mode that you can switch to on the fly in case you want to keep it old school and use standard controls.
Back To The Future
Chrono Trigger DS also includes the fantastic animated cut-scenes from the Final Fantasy Chronicles re-release as well as a touched-up script and a brand new Arena mode. In the game's Arena, you're given the task of raising a small Nu monster and sending him through various time periods to train and learn new techniques. Once trained, you can pit your monster against other players via the game's Wi-Fi support, or simply battle the computer. It's a quirky and interesting diversion that only adds to the massive Chrono Trigger universe by supplying the player with even more to do.
By this point the verdict is obvious: I can't recommend Chrono Trigger DS highly enough. The original was a classic in its own right but Square Enix has made it even more special with this excellent handheld port. Regardless of whether you played it already or are new to the series, you owe it to yourself to check out this amazing title.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- MSI GE73 7RF VR Raider Gaming Laptop: Full, in-depth review
- Sony ghillie up with new Call of Duty bundle
- HyperX Reveals Next Generation Cloud Alpha Gaming Headset
- Acer expands gaming notebook lineup with Predator Helios 300
- Razer unveil new Basilisk mouse built for FPS gaming
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTLevel 3 Support Engineer (Tibco, Java, J2ee, Jboss)Other
- CCNetwork Security ArchitectQLD
- FTConfiguration SpecialistOther
- FTPlanner - Network Planning and Strategy (Telco Environment)Other
- FTInfrastructure/ Hybrid Cloud Architect - Government OrganisationVIC
- CCData Business AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Insurance ClaimsNSW
- FTNetwork & Security Gateway EngineerACT
- FTProject SchedulerQLD
- CCService Delivery AnalystVIC
- FTInternal Communications ManagerOther
- FTDeployment Project CoordinatorOther
- FTSalesForce AdministratorOther
- FTETL & SQL Data AnalystOther
- TPSenior Change ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Developer - Oracle - TelcoVIC
- FTSolution Architect - Enterprise VoiceACT
- FTPMO Analyst BIWA
- CCTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- FTUX Designer | Mobile App | Initial 6 Month ContractOther
- CCFilenet Developer - BrisbaneVIC
- FTTM1 DeveloperOther
- CCUX Developer / DesignerQLD
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerOther