App review: Spotify for Windows Phone
Spotify for Windows Phone 8 is a simple, well designed app
- Clean design
- Follows Windows Phone 8 UI
- Active live tile
- No radio option available
- No option to change background
- Some bugs
The debut of Spotify on Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 platform is welcome news for Windows Phone owners. It's a simple and well designed app but the lack of radio is a downside.
Our biggest criticism of Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 platform is the lack of third party apps available, but one of the most widely requested has just been released. Spotify for Windows Phone 8 is a simple, well designed app that provides access to all your music playlists.
The Spotify app predictably follows the standard Windows Phone 8 interface theme. Large, clean fonts are set against a light background, though unlike the Windows Phone 8 UI itself, there's no option to change this to a darker background.
The live tile that comes with the app is a nice touch and it can be resized to small, medium and large. When set to medium and large sizes, the tile flips and displays current album art for any tracks you are currently playing.
The main menu of Spotify for Windows Phone displays a search box and allows one touch access to your playlists, any play queues, your friends list and settings. The latter is a standard affair — you can choose to access the app in offline only mode, stream or sync in high quality and set whether you want to be able to stream over a 3G/4G network.
Swiping from the right of the main menu scrolls through the 'What's new' menu, which shows a selection of new tracks or albums that have been added to the Spotify service. Tapping on the album art icon will take you into that album or track and you can add these to a playlist or share them via Facebook, SMS or email. One notable absence is the radio function, which allows premium subscribers to listen to music that's selected based on similar tastes.
Overall, we found the Spotify app smooth and functional throughout testing, though it crashed a few times during use. This occurred more than once when we were attempting to download tracks to our phone. Annoyingly, the app needs to remain open when downloading tracks to your phone, so this process can't be completed in the background.
Developer: Spotify AB
Requirements: Windows Phone 8
Reviewed on: HTC Windows Phone 8S
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Z Flip review: Killer form-factor, lethal price-tag
- 3 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 4 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 5 Xiro Drone Xplorer V by Rapoo review
Latest News Articles
- Apple One service subscription coming to A/NZ later in the year
- Amazon Music rolls out free podcasts, taking on Spotify
- Audible unveils a $7.95 all-you-can-listen Audible Plus plan
- Netflix is trying out a 'Shuffle Play' button yet again
- Google's Play Pass all-you-can-app subscription launches in Australia
PCW Evaluation Team
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
- Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
- Soundbars: Why they’re worth it and which one should you buy
- Buying a laptop this EOFY? Here's a cheat sheet
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies