SouthPeak Interactive Big Bang Mini
Arkedo has done it again: made a concept that sounds like it could be incredibly mediocre into a game that you should really consider owning.
- Tonnes of design and gameplay variety, well scaled difficulty, lots of modes
- Some minor relatively minor control issues with special moves, maybe too much unlocking
The other day I was talking to my friend — a non-gamer to the extent that he has never even played a Mario game. I pulled out the DS containing Big Bang Mini and he was like, "Ooh!" and I said, "Ahh! Yeah, it's a fireworks shmup, wanna try?" He was absorbed in about five seconds. It's completely accessible, yet at the same time, the gamer type will go bonkers with the later difficulty and trying to unlock all the content. After all, who doesn't like fireworks?
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
Big Bang Mini's title boggles me a bit, mostly because I can't seem to find a normal sized Big Bang game anywhere. Putting aside such sundry concerns, Arkedo has done it again: it's made a concept that sounds like it could be incredibly mediocre (Remember Nervous Brickdown, one of the most awesome break-out clones ever?) into a game that you should really consider owning.
Party All Over The World
Big Bang Mini is a shoot'em up with some 4th of July flare. Use your stylus to flick fireworks at enemies, and drag your ship around to evade enemy fire. Sometimes the level-specific special moves with more precise stylus motions were hard to pull off, but that is my only real complaint.
No plot explains why you are needed in such disparate locations as Rio de Janeiro, Paris, and Kamakura to battle drumming monkeys, evil robots, and other unusual foes, but that won't affect your ability to appreciate the immense variety between worlds, not to mention the sheer amount of stuff to do. Each of the ten locales features different graphics, music, and enemies, not to mention unique themes mean you won't have to deal with boring palette swapping. Right as you feel like the current groove (and its gimmick mechanic such as walls that close in or bonus damage for rhythm) is getting old, you're into a multiform, bullet-hellish boss battle, and then an exciting new area. Occasionally, random chance dumps you in a retro round where, I have to admit, they almost had me feeling the Twilight Zone vibe with their ominous intro, "There is nothing to win."
Besides arcade mode, you can shoot it out with a friend (using a single cart!) with complete missions involving limited ammo level completion, speed runs, and other hardcore tasks. You can also fight for Wi-Fi high scores in Challenge Mode, "Relax" while admiring displays of each level's exclusive fireworks designs -- I love the New York comic-style exclamations: "KABOOM!" -- and, finally, unlock a cute alarm clock that allows you to wake up to any BGM track. Talk about full-featured-Big Bang Mini is a $59.95 package that is hard to pass up.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Watch us play Vanquish on PC
- Tannenberg expands Verdun's World War I horrors to the Eastern front
- MSI Wins Computex Best Choice Award 2017 for a Record-Breaking 5 Products
- Destiny 2: The 5 key things PC gamers need to know
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTUX ResearcherVIC
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTIT Data ArchitectACT
- FTSenior IT Project ManagerSA
- FTIT Security ConsultantNSW
- FTSoftware and Applications Programmer (Java Developer)ACT
- FTAutomation Tester | C# & Selenium | Leading SaaS FintechNSW
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Learning & Teaching environmentVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectSA
- CCProject Delivery LeadQLD
- CCSenior Network Architect - CCIEVIC
- FTJunior .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCSAP Deployment ConsultantNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Higher EducationVIC
- CCSalesforce Marketing CloudNSW
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTSecurity ConsultantQLD
- FTNetwork Solution Architect -Telecommunications InfrastructureNSW