Soundmatters foxL portable speaker
This portable Bluetooth speaker has more oomph than its small size suggests
- Well-rounded sound with noticeable bass extension -- from 1in speakers!
- Poor stereo sound-stage, distorted Bluetooth sound quality, expensive
The Soundmatters foxL portable speaker packs quite a punch given its small size. It's a good companion for an iPod or mobile phone if you're travelling, with warm and expansive sound.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
The Soundmatters foxL is a portable Bluetooth speaker with a rechargeable battery. It's easy to slip into a pocket or backpack, and its expansive sound makes it a good choice for travellers. It is expensive but its audio quality is also head and shoulders above other portable speaker systems we've tested.
The Soundmatters foxL was smaller than we expected — it's like a chocolate bar on steroids, measuring 143x5x35mm. Two 1in "twoofer" stereo speakers are crammed in (a twoofer can reproduce the high frequencies of a tweeter and the low frequencies of a woofer driver).
The internal, rechargeable battery lasts for five hours of music playback at moderate volume levels — though its life takes a hit if you're using Bluetooth. Apart from the internal battery, the Soundmatters foxL can be powered via USB or the included DC adapter. The internal speakers are rated at 4W each when connected to the power adapter, but using USB power halves their output.
We had no problems connecting the Soundmatters foxL to our Apple iPhone 3G S mobile phone, so any A2DP-compatible Bluetooth device should work without issues. The device's usable range when using the battery was around 5m during testing. Separating the source and the speaker past this point introduced significant stuttering and loss of audio. There are also 3.5mm audio input for hooking up an MP3 player and a 3.5mm output for connecting the system to a subwoofer (although we can't see this system being frequently hooked up to a bulky, not-so-portable external subwoofer).
The sound quality of a portable speaker is obviously its main selling point. The $249 foxL has a lot of selling to do to justify its price, but we can see why it's been lauded as brilliant piece of audio engineering. The stereo 1in twoofer speakers create a sound that's very well rounded — there's a significant amount of detail in treble, and mid-range is warm and equally full of nuance. Most surprising is the foxL's bass response, which relies on the internal rubber-cased battery vibrating to act as a passive subwoofer radiator. With the volume turned up, the Soundmatters foxL was able to shake the table it was sitting on, sending the portable speaker skittering around. The bass response adds the expansive dimension to the foxL's sound, and at moderate to high volumes the speaker system delivers very pleasing audio.
There are two things we think hold the Soundmatters foxL back from being a truly exceptional product. It doesn't have particularly good sound quality when connected via Bluetooth, with a distracting bed of interference and distortion. The sound-stage of the speakers also isn't exceptional. It fills a room with sound at higher volumes, but we were always aware that the sound was coming from two speakers spaced very closely together — if you enjoy some stereo separation in your music tracks this might annoy you.
The Soundmatters foxL is a fascinating product; there aren't many other small speaker systems on the market that can match its good all-round sound quality and surprising bass.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 3 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 4 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 5 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Moto E4:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- TPService Desk Team LeaderVIC
- TPProgram Support OfficerQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCSenior Network DesignerVIC
- CCTechnical Specialist - Software Asset ManagementVIC
- FTDeputy Chief Engineer - Defence Systems - IT Services - Sydney BasedNSW
- FTPMO Analyst BIWA
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther
- FTRuby on Rails DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCTraining Co-OrdinatorNSW
- CCSupport Engineer - Linux, AIX & SolarisNSW
- CCSenior Systems EngineerVIC
- TPInfrastructure ArchitectNSW
- CCSIAM Governance ManagerNSW
- FTPlanner - Network Planning and Strategy (Telco Environment)Other
- FTSenior SAP Training LeadOther
- FTProject Coordinator/AdministratorOther
- FTFTTx Network Area PlannerOther
- FTSenior DevOps Engineer | Leading SaaS Product CompanyOther
- TPPrincipal Software EngineerQLD
- FTSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCIOS DeveloperNSW
- FTSAP PM Functional ConsultantOther