Sony Ericsson Z800i
- Good menu interface, great external screen, Memory Stick expansion option
- Poor quality camera, inadequately designed keypad, chunky size
The Z800i is an excellent 3G phone with an exceptional external screen, but a disappointing camera and a poorly designed keypad.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
The Sony Ericsson Z800i is a feature-packed UMTS 3G-enabled mobile phone that is let down by a low quality camera and a poorly designed keypad. Measuring 102 x 49 x 24mm, the clamshell-design Z800i is fairly chunky when compared to the latest Sony Ericsson models, particularly the K750i. In spite of its size, it only weighs 128 grams.
A delightful feature of the Z800i is its external 65,000-colour screen, which provides information on incoming calls and messages, as well as a battery life meter, and time and date. It even displays your current wallpaper, and a press of the volume-down button on the left-hand side of the unit brings up the calendar appointments for the day. But the most impressive use of the external screen is as a camera viewfinder when the phone is flipped closed.
For a quick photo, simply press the camera button on the side of the phone and the screen becomes a full camera viewfinder with details on resolution, flash and exposure settings. The rotating camera is located on top of the Z800i and contains a light on each side of the lens, which can be quickly activated while the phone is closed by pressing the light button.
The Z800i's 262,000-colour internal screen is also striking. It has a resolution of 176 x 220 pixels and Sony Ericsson has used the same simple yet elegant menu system as on the K750i. The menu is activated by pressing the centre button on the five-way navigational pad, and the menu pictures are enlarged and animated when you scroll through them.
The Z800i has a poorly designed keypad, which makes messaging difficult. The keypad buttons are not raised enough, slowing down messaging considerably. In addition to this, the edges separating the rows of the keypad lack responsiveness because the keys on the Z800i are very flat. The Z800i's 1.3 megapixel camera was also disappointing. While the camera has all the latest features, including 4X digital zoom, quality control, effects, panorama and frames, the overall image quality is poor and the photos we uploaded to our PC were blurred--in particular pictures taken in low-light settings.
However, the music player was a highlight, with excellent audio quality, an easy-to-use interface, an equaliser and the ability to create playlists. The tri-band Z800i supports Bluetooth, infrared and a mini USB port. A Memory Stick Duo expansion slot is also included and a 64MB Memory Stick Duo comes with the phone. In addition to the memory expansion slot, the Z800i contains 7MB of non-volatile internal memory, which is less than average.
We experienced no issues with the Z800i's battery life during testing; and with features like the digital camera, light, external colour screen and video calling, this was a pleasant surprise. Sony Ericsson claims the battery lasts for 150 minutes of talk time, 220 hours of standby or an hour of video calling time on the 3G network.
Join the newsletter!
We have 4 to give away so jump in!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- MWC 2018: Intel and Huawei to showcase 5GNR public interoperability demonstration
- MWC 2018: Intel confirms OEM collaboration on 5G PCs
- Huawei Unveils First Car To Be Driven By AI-Powered Smartphone
- OPPO Launches Free Screen Repairs for Latest Devices
- Samsung Partners With Commonwealth Bank
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTechnical Support - Level 3ACT
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperACT
- FTInside Sales Representative - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - OFM ImplementationOther
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect ? Azure Cloud InfrastructureQLD
- CCDigital Project ManagerVIC
- FTField Engineer - Hardware DeploymentsNSW
- FTSenior Healthcare Pre-Sales Exec. / Clinical Advisor - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTOracle Fusion Middleware AdministratorOther
- CCIncident ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Lead | .Net | FintechOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - Supply ChainOther
- FTTechnical Lead | .Net | FintechOther
- FTHFC EngineerOther
- FTSenior Software Engineer - Angular4/.NetNSW
- CCHadoop DeveloperQLD
- CCService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTHR Payroll Officer - Government background onlyOther
- FTOracle Fusion Middleware System AdministratorACT
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTProject Manager - DatawarehouseACT
- FTEnd-to-End Recruiter - TelecommunicationsOther
- TPProject CoordinatorVIC
- FTAndroid Developer - 6 Month ContractOther
- FTSolutions Architect - Business Process Solutions - MelbourneVIC