Sony Ericsson W890i
- Build quality, superb design, HSDPA-capable, 2GB Memory Stick Micro (M2), A2DP Bluetooth, TrackID, SensME
- 3.2-megapixel camera lacks flash and autofocus
A stylish, classy exterior with excellent build quality, just 10mm thin and boasting an superior keypad and controls despite its compact size. Add HSDPA support and an excellent user interface to the mix and the W890i is almost perfect.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
A slight upgrade to the popular W880i, Sony Ericsson's latest Walkman phone corrects some of the issues of its excellent, but not perfect predecessor. The W890i adds HSDPA connectivity, the company's refreshing new multimedia interface, and also includes an upgraded 3.2-megapixel camera.
Thankfully, the W890i remains one of the slimmest phones on the market. At 10mm thin, it's slightly thicker than its predecessor's 9.4mm frame, but the difference is barely noticeable. Aesthetically, the brushed steel finish gives a feel of excellent build quality, sophistication and class – this handset is a real head turner.
A noteworthy improvement over the previous model is the keypad and controls. They are now slightly larger, raised and better shaped, resulting in a far more positive user experience. Sony Ericsson has also added answer and end call keys, in addition to the five-way navigational pad (with Walkman controls), two selection buttons, back and clear keys and dedicated Internet and shortcut keys. The keypad has benefited the most with the upgrade, with the curved, well spaced keys a joy to type long-winded messages on. Further, a soft, white backlight means using the handset in the dark won't be an issue.
The W890i includes the latest Walkman software, integrated closely with all the multimedia options, now adding an FM radio. In terms of audio quality, the W890i is on par with previous Walkman handsets. The included earphones produced a crisp and warm sound with decent bass and they include an adapter that allows a standard 3.5mm pair of headphones to be used. You can tailor your audio using the five band equaliser or the four presets including Sony's proprietary Mega Bass.
SensME technology allows you to create a playlist based on mood and tempo. Tracks are plotted on a visual graph and matched to sad and happy emotions and fast and slow tempos. You can then create playlists based on these choices, though to use these functions you'll have to upload your music using the included Walkman software.
Sony Ericsson's excellent TrackID feature is again present. This allows you to record a few seconds of any song through the external microphone. The recording is then sent to a music database and if the song is recognised, the title, album and artist name are sent to you. The W890i also features A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) which enables you to wirelessly stream your music to a compatible pair of Bluetooth headphones.
The W890i is HSDPA capable, and also supports GSM 850/900/1800/1900, EDGE, and UMTS 2100. Voice calls are crisp and clear and volume is quite loud at its highest setting. 26MB of internal memory is standard, but the big drawcard is the included 2GB Memory Stick Micro (M2). You'll have to remove the battery cover to access it, but 2GB of storage is an excellent deal.
Being a 3G phone, the W890i has dual cameras – a 3.2-megapixel camera on the rear for photographs and a VGA camera on the front for video calling. Disappointingly, the main camera doesn't include auto focus or a flash, so it's strange that Sony Ericsson bothered to upgrade it. Regardless, the camera should keep users happy for the odd happy snap.
Other features include a video player and games, as well as some of Sony Ericsson's proprietary applications such as VideoDJ, PhotoDJ and Music DJ. There's remote control and sound recording functions, Bluetooth 2.0 and USB 2.0 connectivity and blogging. The W890i also includes a host of organiser features – calendar, tasks, notes, alarms, calculator, synchronisation, timer and stopwatch amongst them.
Join the newsletter!
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony Commences Android 8.0 Oreo Rollout in New Zealand Starting With Flagship Xperia XZ Premium Smartphone Device
- Qualcomm adds security, battery life features to phone chips
- Cygnett’s new wireless charging range has arrived
- Belkin Introduces USB-C 3.1 Express Dock HD
- Porsche Design Huawei Mate 10 Will Come To Australia
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTMultiple SOC Analyst RolesOther
- CCWeb Applications Project ManagerACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTData Analysts/ EngineersACT
- FTField Service EngineerOther
- FTPython DevelopersOther
- CCJava LeadWA
- FTSecurity Operations EngineerOther
- FTSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- FTPlatform Architect - InfrastructureOther
- FTTechnical Business Analyst - Financial Services - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- CCJava LeadNSW
- FTTechnology Project CoordinatorOther
- FTSecurity Leads - $800 per dayOther
- TPSecurity ArchitectACT
- FTSystems Admin ( Linux)Other
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- TPNetwork EngineerVIC
- CCProject Delivery Lead - Oracle Banking Platform - Contract - SydneyNSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperACT
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTOrganisational Change Analyst -Contract - $650 per dayOther
- CCProduct ManagerACT
- FTSenior SQL EngineerOther