Sony Ericsson W760i
A Walkman phone on the Next G network
- Design, build quality, controls, user interface, access to Next G services, HSDPA-capable, built-in GPS
- GPS isn’t completely free, camera is mediocre and lacks flash and autofocus
The W760i is the first Walkman handset to be available on the Next G network. Although it doesn’t offer any outstanding features, the combination of a smooth design, excellent build quality and Sony Ericsson’s Walkman software makes this an excellent handset overall.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
The first Walkman handset to be offered on Telstra's Next G network in Australia, the Sony Ericsson W760i continues the fine tradition of quality Walkman mobile phones. Although it doesn't offer any absolutely outstanding features, the combination of HSDPA capabilities, built in-GPS, good multimedia abilities and a great interface make the W760i an excellent all-rounder.
The silver and grey finish gives the handset a more professional than fashion-orientated look. Importantly, the phone's build quality is superb — the spring-operated slider feels smooth and sturdy.
The W760i is extremely easy to use, largely thanks to its slick interface and good controls. In particular, the keypad is excellent — each key is large, well spaced and has good tactile response, so sending messages or even e-mails shouldn't be an issue. The navigational pad, selection buttons and answer/end call keys are also perfectly positioned and comfortable to use.
A large part of the W760i's appeal is access to Telstra's range of services, including Mobile FOXTEL. Other BigPond services include Sensis Search, Yellow Pages, Trading Post and BigPond Photos. We were impressed by with the speed of these services on this handset, especially streaming mobile TV; the W760i didn't suffer from any noticeable lag when browsing.
The W760i comes equipped with a built-in GPS receiver. Included in the main menu is an icon for 'location services', which allows you to download the WhereIs Navigator software. This offers full turn-by-turn navigation with text-to-speech, but it isn't a free product — the software can be used free (inclusive of all data) for seven days, but then users have to pay $15 per month.
The Tracker application is also included on the W760i. Tracker is a fitness program that allows you to keep track of your speed, distance travelled, route taken and energy consumption during a workout session. It's a nifty option to have in your pocket if you regularly train.
The W760i includes the latest Walkman software, and this is integrated closely with all the handset's multimedia options, including video, games and Web feeds. Audio quality is reasonable — the included earphones produce relatively good sound and an adapter allows standard headphones to be used. Surprisingly, sound through the dual external speakers, located beneath the end and answer call keys, is quite reasonable. You can tailor your audio using the five-band equaliser or the four presets, including Sony's proprietary Mega Bass. The W760i also features A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) which enables you to wirelessly stream your music to a compatible pair of Bluetooth headphones.
In addition to the standard Walkman software, the W760i includes SensME technology, which lets you create a playlist based on mood and tempo; 'Shake it!', which allows you to skip tracks with the flick of your wrist; and TrackID, where you can record a few seconds of any song and be sent title album and artist information.
Being a Next G phone, the W760i has dual cameras — a 3.2-megapixel camera on the rear for photographs and a VGA camera on the front for video calling over the Telstra network. Disappointingly, the main camera doesn't include autofocus or a flash, so it's really of little use. It should be fine for the odd happy snap.
Join the newsletter!
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Toys for Boys
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Exciting New Aussie Dash-Cams Unveiled Ahead of Holiday Road Trip Season
- Latest Spartan sports watches hit the scene
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
- Google's Pixel Launcher leak hints at the demise of the Nexus brand
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSQL / .Net Developers (1 Snr & 2 Mid Level)WA
- FTApplications SpecialistOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - PERMANENT -Other
- FTMobile Developers (Android OR iOS)WA
- CCLead Technical Specialist ? Wintel PlatformVIC
- CCUser Experience DesignerVIC
- FTAutomation Test Analyst- QTP/UFT scripting - X5Other
- CCCyber Security Team/stream LeadVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst (Engineer) Mining SystemsOther
- FTTeradata Systems Engineer - Financial Services - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTEducation/Training OfficerNSW
- CCLead Pega Systems ArchitectACT
- CCIT Service Desk Specialist - BrisbaneNSW
- TPReporting/BI AnalystVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Citrix EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - AML -Other
- FTIT Systems AnalystOther
- CCHadoop DeveloperVIC
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- FTIT Security OfficerACT
- FTSenior System AdministratorOther
- CCTechnical Business AnalystVIC
- FTClient Delivery DirectorACT