Sony Ericsson MBS-100
Unidentified flying… speaker?
- Quirky design, simple operation, excellent sound quality considering its size
- Battery is non-removable
This strange-looking device is actually a very useful speaker. Don’t let the design fool you, as Sony Ericsson’s MBS-100 is a commendable mobile phone accessory.
Price$ 108.00 (AUD)
Described by Sony Ericsson as a "wireless sphere of music”, the MBS-100 is a portable Bluetooth speaker with a twist. This circular speaker could be compared to a number of different objects including a spider, a moon rock or even a UFO!
The MBS-100 is a large plastic circle finished in matte black plastic. Although it’s a little too big to cup comfortably in your hand, the speaker is ideal for travelling as it runs off a rechargeable battery. Despite the all-plastic design and the fact that the unit is light, it feels quite solid and well built.
The speaker grille consists of different sized circles etched into the casing, each circle covered by standard black speaker mesh, similar to those found on regular speakers and hi-fi systems. Underneath the MBS-100 is a standard 3.5mm jack for connecting a non-Bluetooth audio source, as well as power and Bluetooth buttons. The battery is non-removable and is charged via the included proprietary AC adapter.
Pairing the MBS-100 is effortless: simply hold down the Bluetooth button until the light on the front flashes red and green to denote pairing mode. Search for the MBS-100 on your phone, enter the default passcode (0000) and you’re done. When paired, the light will slowly flash green.
Apart from the design, what really impressed us was the sound quality. For a unit so small, it certainly packs quite a punch and it is capable of very loud volumes. The quality obviously isn’t fantastic, but considering the portability factor we were extremely impressed. The unit produces enough punch to fill a small room with sound. Even when listening at near full volume there was no major distortion evident. We tested the unit by pairing it to the W980i, and the sound quality via A2DP Bluetooth was excellent. We also used a standard line-in cable (not included) to connect the MBS-100 to an iPhone 3G and the results were similarly impressive.
Join the newsletter!
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Xbox One X
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony Commences Android 8.0 Oreo Rollout in New Zealand Starting With Flagship Xperia XZ Premium Smartphone Device
- Qualcomm adds security, battery life features to phone chips
- Cygnett’s new wireless charging range has arrived
- Belkin Introduces USB-C 3.1 Express Dock HD
- Porsche Design Huawei Mate 10 Will Come To Australia
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- CCSystems / Storage EngineerWA
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- TPSenior Project Manager (Applications/Business)NSW
- TPIT OfficerVIC
- FTOnboarding Specialist / Service Design - ITIL | ServiceNowOther
- FTProgram CoordinatorACT
- CCProject Delivery Lead - Oracle Banking Platform - Contract - SydneyNSW
- CCTest Engineer - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- FTMachine Learning Project ManagerACT
- FTSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- FTNetwork SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior Network ArchitectOther
- CCAutomation Test ManagerVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSenior MySQL Database AdministratorNSW
- CCAutomation Designer (Solutions Architect) - Robotics (RPA) - SydneyNSW
- CCOracle DeveloperVIC
- CCData ScientistVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTAutomation TesterQLD
- FTDeveloper - TallymanOther
- FTService Desk ConsultantOther