Sony Ericsson MBS-100
Unidentified flying… speaker?
- Quirky design, simple operation, excellent sound quality considering its size
- Battery is non-removable
This strange-looking device is actually a very useful speaker. Don’t let the design fool you, as Sony Ericsson’s MBS-100 is a commendable mobile phone accessory.
Price$ 108.00 (AUD)
Described by Sony Ericsson as a "wireless sphere of music”, the MBS-100 is a portable Bluetooth speaker with a twist. This circular speaker could be compared to a number of different objects including a spider, a moon rock or even a UFO!
The MBS-100 is a large plastic circle finished in matte black plastic. Although it’s a little too big to cup comfortably in your hand, the speaker is ideal for travelling as it runs off a rechargeable battery. Despite the all-plastic design and the fact that the unit is light, it feels quite solid and well built.
The speaker grille consists of different sized circles etched into the casing, each circle covered by standard black speaker mesh, similar to those found on regular speakers and hi-fi systems. Underneath the MBS-100 is a standard 3.5mm jack for connecting a non-Bluetooth audio source, as well as power and Bluetooth buttons. The battery is non-removable and is charged via the included proprietary AC adapter.
Pairing the MBS-100 is effortless: simply hold down the Bluetooth button until the light on the front flashes red and green to denote pairing mode. Search for the MBS-100 on your phone, enter the default passcode (0000) and you’re done. When paired, the light will slowly flash green.
Apart from the design, what really impressed us was the sound quality. For a unit so small, it certainly packs quite a punch and it is capable of very loud volumes. The quality obviously isn’t fantastic, but considering the portability factor we were extremely impressed. The unit produces enough punch to fill a small room with sound. Even when listening at near full volume there was no major distortion evident. We tested the unit by pairing it to the W980i, and the sound quality via A2DP Bluetooth was excellent. We also used a standard line-in cable (not included) to connect the MBS-100 to an iPhone 3G and the results were similarly impressive.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Huawei go big on AI, announce Mate 10 + Mate 10 Pro
- Huawei's flagship tech trickles down to mid-tier with new Nova 2i smartphone
- Incipio Adds Pixel 2 Cases To Roster
- Survey: 20% of Aussie Apple users wouldn't switch to Android for a million dollars
- Tech21 Announces New Phone Protection For Google Pixel 2 and Google Pixel 2 XL
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- iPhone 8
- Canon 6D MK II: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSAP HR Team LeadOther
- CCFinance AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Agile Project ManagerNSW
- FTNetwork and Security EngineerOther
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCJunior / Mid level Hogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- FTSenior Tester - HardwareOther
- FTInfrastructure Business AnalystOther
- TPNetwork EngineerQLD
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorWA
- FTApplication Support Team Lead l Experience with health applicationsNSW
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerVIC
- FTDigital Producer | High Profile Website | 6 Month ContractOther
- CCIT Project SchedulerNSW
- FTTest AnalystOther
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- TPProject Manager | Digital Health ProgramQLD
- FTAnalyst ProgrammerOther
- FTLead Strategy Manager - ConsultancyOther
- CCSCCM EngineerNSW
- FTManagement Consultant, Strategy, New Products, TransformationsOther
- CCiMIS SpecialistNSW
- CCCommunications Business Analyst - LTE / 4G / 3GWA
- TPIT Change Manager Windows UpgradeVIC