Sony Ericsson HPM-85
- Good audio quality considering price, Can be used with both handsets or MP3 players
- Flimsy design, Cable too short when in 3.5mm mode
While not as convenient as its wireless brothers, Sony Ericsson's HPM-85 offers better quality audio and a comfortable design, making it a good choice if you can handle a wired unit.
Price$ 74.00 (AUD)
Sony Ericsson's HPM-85 is a wired hands-free kit that is designed to double as a pair of headphones for their Walkman range of mobile phones. Unlike many of the Bluetooth based wireless offerings we've looked at recently, the HPM-85 offers good quality audio and can be used with both Sony Ericsson handsets and regular digital music players.
Audio quality is always a primary concern with a pair of headphones, even one designed primarily as a hands-free kit such as this. Fortunately, we are pleased to report that the HPM-85 performed well in this regard. The sound it produced during our music tests was quite bombastic and fun. Although there was quite a bit of detail loss, particularly in the mid range, that is to be expected from a unit such as this. The soundstage was a little muddled, with different parts of the music coming from many different directions at once.
Bass tended to be the strongest element of the HPM-85's presentation; it was slow and reverberated quite a bit, giving a warm, rich tone. Meanwhile the mid range was also quite prominent. We found the overall texture of the sound to be relatively harsh after long listening sessions, and the lack of detail will displease some more discerning listeners, but the average user will find the audio quality just fine.
We also tested the in-call quality and are pleased to report that it operated well in this regard. Our callers could hear us clearly, although there was some minor background noise, and the outgoing signal was crisp and loud. We had no volume problems thanks to the unit's design, which helps block out external noise.
The HPM-85 has two connection options. By default it comes with a standard Sony Ericsson proprietary plug for connection to one of their handsets, but this can also be detached, revealed a standard 3.5mm headphone jack for use with an MP3 player. Our only complaint here is that you'll need an extension cable to make proper use of the headphone jack, as the cable isn't even a foot long with the Sony Ericsson plug section detached.
A remote is connected to the longer part of the cord and this allows you to skip tracks, play and pause and change the volume of your music while listening on your mobile phone. It's a nifty feature, allowing you to throw your phone into your pocket and leave it there.
The HPM-85's are a little flimsy. They are entirely constructed of thin plastic, so we'd recommend treating them with care. They have an adjustable headband to help achieve a proper fit and the leather pads over the ear cups are quite comfortable, although they do get warm after prolonged listening sessions.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Bose SoundLink Micro
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Xbox One X
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Belkin Introduces USB-C 3.1 Express Dock HD
- Porsche Design Huawei Mate 10 Will Come To Australia
- Boost Mobile Doubles Data Offering With New Summer Plans
- BlackBerry KEYone Black Launches in Australia
- HTC U11 Plus latest rumours: Release date, price and specs
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTHealthcare Pre-Sales Consultant - Permanent - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCJunior to mid-level - Business Analyst ? AgileQLD
- FTField ConsultantOther
- CCTransition Manger - Infrastructure ServicesVIC
- FTHadoop DeveloperSA
- FTPageUp BAOther
- FTWindows Server EngineerOther
- CCPHP DeveloperQLD
- FTProject ManagerQLD
- FTSAP Test ManagerACT
- FTPL/SQL DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Java and AEM DeveloperOther
- FTSoftware DeveloperOther
- CCDigital Customer Marketing ExecutiveNSW
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperACT
- CCSystems Analyst / Consultant ? SAPQLD
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- CCLean Six Sigma Process Improvement Specialist - MELBOURNEQLD
- FTSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- CCSAP Test AnalystACT
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTCloud Architect - AWS, Azure, ADOther
- CCSenior AngularJS DeveloperNSW
- TPProject Manager - Records ManagementVIC
- CCDevelopment Lead - Java - TelcoVIC