Sony Ericsson HBH-PV720
Stylish and compact headset with changeable covers.
- Design, changeable covers, audio quality, battery life
- Can't be worn without ear hook
The PV720's minimalist yet stylish design and excellent audio quality make it a worthwhile choice if you're looking for a Bluetooth headset.
Price$ 109.00 (AUD)
Another Bluetooth headset designed to appeal to fashionistas, Sony Ericsson's HBH-PV720 is a stylish and compact unit that features removable ear hooks and a necklace. The chic PV720 also offers three changeable covers, but it isn't all about looks: sound quality is suitably impressive.
The PV720 is one of the smallest Bluetooth headsets currently available. The rectangular design is straightforward but elegant, and those concerned about the stigma associated with wearing Bluetooth headsets should be pleased with it. It is fairly inconspicuous when worn. Three removable, patterned faceplates are included in the sales package, so the look of the device can be changed.
The PV720 utilises an ear bud design. Unfortunately, unlike many similar models this headset is practically impossible to wear properly without one of the two ear hooks included in the sales package. The ear bud was too large to sit comfortably in our ear and quickly fell out without the support of an ear hook. When using the ear hook the PV720 is comfortable to wear, even for long periods. The hooks are of different sizes, so most users shouldn’t have a problem finding the correct fit.
The PV720 has a power button, volume controls and a call-handling button, and most operations are straightforward. Pairing the headset is a simple matter of turning the unit on — it automatically enters pairing mode, denoted by the indicator light flashing red and blue. Once paired, functions differ depending on how you press the call-handling button; for example, pressing the button once answers or ends a call, while double-clicking it redials the last number you called.
Sound quality is impressive. Incoming and outgoing audio are loud and clear, with little distortion evident. Volume levels are excellent — even with excessive background noise, we were still able to hold a conversation. A minor complaint is that wind noise sometimes distorts outgoing audio, but this isn't a huge issue. The unit has a feature that automatically adjusts volume depending on the ambient noise. It's certainly noticeable but isn't really a huge benefit.
Battery life is rated at up to 11 hours' talk time and 800 hours' standby time. A proprietary AC charger is included in the sales package, along with a lanyard that allows you to wear the PV720 around your neck.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Google wants to solve the Android update problem once and for all with Project Treble
- Intel concerned about name of John McAfee’s privacy phone
- Low-cost Android phones to get iPhone features with new Qualcomm chips
- Qualcomm's Quick Charge 4 is coming in phones midyear
- Apple's next iPhones may cut corners on memory due to price squeeze
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTIT Security ConsultantNSW
- CCDesigner - Salesforce Marketing CloudVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst - GROUP LIFE INSURANCENSW
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerQLD
- FTDigital Developer | LAMP Stack | Digital AgencyNSW
- FTIT Systems EngineerTAS
- FTSenior SAP Project ManagerACT
- FTProject Control Analyst - PMOACT
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- FTInfrastructure EngineerACT
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- FTImplementation Engineer - Cisco UCSWA
- CCWintel Server EngineerNSW
- FTUX / UI Designer MobileNSW
- FTFull Stack .Net DeveloperWA
- FTJunior - Mid Level Technical Customer SupportQLD
- FTNetwork EngineerSA
- FTDigital Business Analyst/Project Manager | PermanentQLD
- FTAutomation Tester | C# & Selenium | Leading SaaS FintechNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT Software & Primary HealthcareQLD
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTDevelopment LeadVIC
- TPSolution Architect - InfrastructureQLD